home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
Can't Install microsoft.net framework 4 client
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 17:02 pm    Post subject: Can't Install microsoft.net framework 4 client Reply with quote

I can't Install microsoft.net framework 4 client on my Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit laptop.

The install fails using Windows Update. I also can't install it using the stand alone installer, "dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe".

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have a log file of one of the failed install attempts, but it is too long to post here.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 17:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.NET Framework issues can be extremely troublesome! Without a specific error code, it is more difficult to research the source of the problem.

Since you have downloaded the stand-alone installer, clean Temp Files. In order to be thorough, I suggest using the following tool:

Download  TFC  to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean
Right-click and run the installer as Administrator.

If the above does not work, it is time to follow the suggestions provided by MSFT Aaron Stebner. Note that many of the linked articles have old dates. Aaron has updated them regularly though, including information for .NET Framework 4.

I suggest starting with the  .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide , using the command line switch: netfx_setupverifier.exe /q:a /c:"setupverifier.exe /a"

From there, if the Troubleshooting Guide doesn't help, see  Updated: what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help .

If you need to reinstall .NET Framework, see  Mailbag: Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order? .

Take a walk through my Security Garden
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 17:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a line from near the end of the log file:
Quote:
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. "
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 18:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran TFC as administrator, let the computer restart, and then tried the install again, with the same failure.

Here is some additional info from the log:
Quote:
Action: Performing Action on MSI at C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x86.msi...

[10/29/2011, 18:57:43]Log File C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20111029_185537153-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt exists and will be added to the Watson upload list
[10/29/2011, 18:57:43]Calling MsiInstallProduct(C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x86.msi, EXTUI=1
[10/29/2011, 18:58:26] Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not write value RuntimeVersion to key \Software\Classes\CLSID\{8066FB71-AFA1-343E-8070-44AB4F3F85C9}\InprocServer32\4.0.0.0. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]

Does that help any? If not, I'll try to find time to follow the other links you posted above.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 18:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is helpful: Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. "

There is a Microsoft Fix it that may solve the problem:  You receive 0x80070643 or 0x643 error codes when you try to install .NET Framework updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Updates .

Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Mr. Fixit runs, but it doesn't appear to do anything. Mr. Fixit doesn't seem to be very good. Then I followed the next step and uninstalled all versions of .net. After that I reinstalled .net 3.5 from Microsoft Update, and then two updates for .net 3.5. But when I tried to install .net 4, it failed again.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 20:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Stebner is "the" .NET Framework expert. That is why I provided links to his articles.

Did you use the uninstaller?  Updated: what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help 

After completely uninstalling, follow the instructions posted previously about reinstalling .NET Framework:  Mailbag: Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order? .

Before I forget, after this is finally all worked out, the next time there is a .NET Framework update, install it separate from other security updates, followed by a restart. It appears that significantly lessens the chance of problems with .NET.

techie

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 22:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same author as Corrine indicated Aaron Stebner offers a net framework cleanup tool. I have had similar problems and found it worked the best, to resolve them. This tool will remove all net framework versions.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/13/10012778.aspx 

After performing this function try running Windows update again. You should be offered the net framework updates again. Each install takes a little time. Install the framework and then each SP in order.
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the cleanup tool that was linked in the Microsoft article Corrine posted.
Code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip
As I mentioned, after 3.5 was reinstalled and updated using Microsoft Update, 4.0 failed again.

I'll have to try again at some later date.

It is very frustrating because 4.0 installed fine on my Windows 7 computers...
techie

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this in Vista, WIN 7 and some XP systems. The cleanup isn't just a standard uninstall, it cleans the registry settings as well.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From  Mailbag: Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order? :

Quote:
Question:

I used the instructions and the cleanup tool in this blog post to remove all versions of the .NET Framework from my computer, and now I want to re-install them. Do I need to re-install them in any specific order?

Answer:

In general, the versions of the .NET Framework allow you to install in any order you choose. However, I recommend installing in reverse order from newest to oldest, like this:

.NET Framework 4
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this will install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes so you do not have to install them separately)
.NET Framework 1.1 (if you have any programs installed that need it, this blog post can help you decide whether or not you need it)

Most programs do not specifically require the .NET Framework 1.0 so I didn't list it above. If you do need the .NET Framework 1.0, you will have to install it before installing the .NET Framework 4 because .NET Framework 4 setup blocks future installation attempts for the .NET Framework 4. If you need the .NET Framework 1.0, I recommend installing in this order:

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this will install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes so you do not have to install them separately)
.NET Framework 1.1 (if you have any programs installed that need it, this blog post can help you decide whether or not you need it)
.NET Framework 1.0 (if you have any programs installed that need it, this blog post can help you decide whether or not you need it)
.NET Framework 4

(Original contains links)

techie

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 13:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed where you had said you used the cleanup tool.
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 14:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrine wrote:
From  Mailbag: Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order? :

[..]

(Original contains links)
According to the MS website, 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 can't be uninstalled from Vista, so only 3.5 and 4.0 can be uninstalled and reinstalled. Only 3.5 was able to be reinstalled. 4.0 failed again.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 17:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Boz.

My point was that Aaron recommends starting with .NET Framework 4.0. He indicated that 3.5 SP1 will install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes.

Conversely, in looking at installation problems of .NET Framework 4.0 on the MSDN forums, others recommend the following:
Quote:
Use this tool to check for, and remove, any vestiges of the previous .NET Framework 4.0 installation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx 

Don't touch any other Framework versions.

You can try installing from the full installer manually:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/detai...n&id=24872 

Before you run the installer, clean out your %temp% directory and disable all AV/anti-malware/firewall software.

Then run the installer you downloaded "AS Administrator".

That aside, did you receive an error code?

Do you have the latest Windows Vista Service Pack installed?

You do have the option of obtaining free help for Windows Update issues via  Microsoft Support .

techie

Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 18:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the link that Corrine gave you, there is actually to Fixit apps the first is visible and the second one you have to expand more information and "click here to view or hide detailed information"

Here you will find the secondary fixit for Windows update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 21:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally submitted a request to MS support. I got a reply, followed the suggested fix, but it didn't work. I replied with the requested screenshot and log file, but it has been 5 days, and I haven't gotten a reply. How can I check on the service request? I have the service request number, but it doesn't appear when I log into my Passport account at the link you provided. Do you have any suggestions?
Corrine wrote:
You do have the option of obtaining free help for Windows Update issues via Microsoft Support.
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have .NET framework 4 installed on ANY computer. Is there a particular reason you need this?
Check out this dependency chart
 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/bb822049.aspx 
unless you run Visual Studio 2010, I do not think you need .NET 4.
Me, I have hidden .NET4 and applied "do not show me this update".
In 7, I think it is in the optional, rather than the critical/security section.
xtgold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: free Reply with quote

I found a free video file converter program that would convert from one video type to another and it required .net 4 be installed.
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I need .net 4 to use the PogoPlug software. I haven't had any trouble with my two Windows 7 computers, but I can't get .net 4 installed on my Vista computer.
techie

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 22:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, you may want to look at this site, which list some error codes and work around.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/varungupta/archive...lures.aspx 
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Help, Tips & Tricks   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next