home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
Where is the Alt + underline keyboard shortcut in Windows 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orillia3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 15:03 pm    Post subject: Where is the Alt + underline keyboard shortcut in Windows 7 Reply with quote

Is there such a thing in Windows 7 or have they dispensed with it. I am sure if it is still a feature, there is somewhere to turn it on and off. I do not even know what you call it?

For example File has the F underlined and if you operate Alt key plus the F key, then File dropdown menu will show. You do this instead of using the mouse to click on File.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 17:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, orillia3.

To shows the underlined keys for shortcuts in Windows 7 , click Start and begin typing Ease of Access. The Ease of Access Center should show up almost immediately. (I don't think I got past typing Ea). Alternatively, click Start > Control Panel > Ease of Access Center.

Select "Make the keyboard easier to use".

Under "Make it easier to use keyboard shortcuts", select "Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys".

Save.

Take a walk through my Security Garden
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pain just to enable that useful stuff thats always been enabled before Frown
orillia3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This used to be enabled by default, I guess it deemed an anachronism now. I see they have Text To Speech (TTS) and Microsoft Narrator. I tried Narrator and found it just irritating. I just wanted it to announce key strokes for when I am working in the dark or not paying attention. I will try TTS later, but I suspect I will be disappointed by Microsoft once again.

On mine after you are given the first choices it is "Change how your keyboard works". but the rest is the same. Thankyou.

I wonder why they changed it.
Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

orillia3 wrote:

My guess is two-fold. First, to place all the Ease of Access features together but make activation user preference. Second, it seems that using keyboard shortcuts isn't second nature for most people, particularly the younger generation that has grown up with a mouse in their hands.

Take a walk through my Security Garden
Dude111

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orillia3 wrote:

Well in my opinion OLDER IS BETTER..

New things are not as good as older,stuff usually always gets worse i have noticed Frown

No reason to change anything regarding these shortcuts,TOTALLY STUPID!! (Although im not surprised @ all)
CaptainTripps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrine wrote:
...Select "Make the keyboard easier to use".
Under "Make it easier to use keyboard shortcuts", select "Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys".
Save.
Though I seldom ever use keyboard shortcuts, I used the Alt key plus the F key without thinking the other day and the file dropdown menu appeared. I thought nothing of it until I read this thread and I didn't remember going to the Ease Of Access menu and enabling this feature. I opened Ease of Access and it's not enabled on the menu! Why is it automatically enabled on my Windows 7 when it's supposed to be manually enabled? Was it auto-enabled because Win 7 is installed on a laptop?
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Help, Tips & Tricks   All times are GMT - 5 Hours