home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
DialupForFree.com

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Free Internet Access
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxBandwidth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 22:21 pm    Post subject: DialupForFree.com Reply with quote

Here's a new free ISP but this must be a joke! DialupForFree.com says it provides "nationwide free unlimited dialup service". However, there seems to be only two access numbers for the entire country! Both numbers are area code 308. I guess that's okay for people with unlimited long distance service (as long as the provider doesn't prohibit data transfers).

The site looks very similar to DialInFree.net, a statewide free ISP in Michigan. In fact, the source code for DialupForFree shows it uses the DialInFree template. Despite the similarity, I've got a feeling the two ISPs are not otherwise related. I doubt the DialInFree folks would roll-out a nationwide product with only two access numbers... By the way, I did not try the access numbers, so I don't know if they actually work.
nevadacrab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: ???? Reply with quote

When I enter (cutting and pasting) DialupForFree.com, I get something called the "Fedora Core Test Page", informing me "that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance."

THAT sure didn't last long!
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing. Unfortunately, whoever is running DialupForFree isn't smart enough to have set up their pages to work like they should. They REQUIRE the use of the  www. ! Ridiculous!
 http://www.dialupforfree.com/ 
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be good because it says, "As seen on TV"! Devilish We all know how all the products seen on tv always work as advertised! Wink
I enjoy the articles in Good Housekeeping where they test some of the tv products and tell you what works and what doesn't. One of our loal department stores buys up the tv items that don't sell and I have purchased things locally that were rated as working.

Also, this site
 http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Internet_Access/ 
which mentions it, has the same The Free Site logo as on dialupforfree site.
johngg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 14:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to this ISP thread Reply with quote

I don't know what the fuss is because as I maintain an old W98 machine for back up to my regular XP, I installed this ISP with the default DUN in the program and it works great. Glad to have another alternate just in case.
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 16:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Glad to have another alternate just in case.
Interesting considering that the ISP mentioned has two access numbers in Western Nebraska and by your IP, I see you are located in VA. So you'd make a long distance call to use a free ISP?
When I check for PA, my location, this is what appears
Quote:
To access the dialup service in Pennsylvania you will dial one of the below number(s). There may be a long distance toll charge for the call depending on your location.
308-344-9890 308-344-9891

If you need a free backup, Juno can provide that and does have nationwide access numbers rather than two numbers in area code 308 only.
johngg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

You're right, of course, with my having neglected to include the fact that my LD is unlimited. I meant to say in effect that if all else goes down the tube, I would have a back up means of some kind to get online without having to download software. I honestly have not checked yet to see if Juno is available without having to do that. Thanks.
blsJason

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 13:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Unlimited Long Distance to Connect to Free ISPs Reply with quote

You may want to check the terms of service of your unlimited long distance with your long distance provider. Many of them forbid using unlimited long distance plans for dial-up internet access. According to some of the TOS policies I've heard of, some of them will cancel you and bill you at a 'punitive' rate for the time connected.
johngg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Roger that. I called the provider and got somebody who obviously was fluent in Arabic but not English, of course. Anyway, I ran the question about the TOS regarding this kind of dialing and after a long pause, said something that sounded like it was ok but I have to know the person didn't have the foggiest what I was talking about. In other dealings that I have had with them, I have learned that their names are Larry, Moe and Curly.
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 13:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngg, you should read the TOS for yourself because I have found that even if a customer service rep SOUNDS like they understand you and SOUNDS like they know the answer, it is usually wrong anyway!
blsJason

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 21:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlimited Long Distance TOS Reply with quote

You should have a TOS in writing somewhere (and/or it should be linked on the company's website, especially if it's an online-based long-distance company).
It's very important to read it and understand it, as when phone companies figured out people were using long distance for out-of-area free ISP service instead of purchasing their ISP service, many of the long distance providers stopped that, and even canceled some accounts. Once again, some TOS agreements state you can be charged for breaking it.
Perhaps if we knew what company provided your long distance service, we could help you find the TOS (if it's on their website).
johngg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I tried this thing out of curiosity to see if it would work, a sort of backup to the backup. I have about thirty seconds on it which is all I intend to use. A TOS, like any contract, can a lot of times be open to interpretation depending on who you talk to. In any event, my main DSL is back up, PGH Connect still works if need be, so to be on the safe side, Iíll just delete the DUN on this guy and call it a day. Thanks for the input.
andre21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: re: reply Reply with quote

johngg wrote:
Actually, I tried this thing out of curiosity to see if it would work, a sort of backup to the backup. I have about thirty seconds on it which is all I intend to use. A TOS, like any contract, can a lot of times be open to interpretation depending on who you talk to. In any event, my main DSL is back up, PGH Connect still works if need be, so to be on the safe side, Iíll just delete the DUN on this guy and call it a day. Thanks for the input.

I did the same thing. Unfortunately, whoever is running DialupForFree isn't smart enough to have set up their pages to work like they should.
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost 4 years old.
The site appears non-functioning.
I assume they scammed people out of money and moved on.

I'm locking this thread.

Info on the current info
dialupforfree brings up albacore network, which traces to a holding company.
 http://whois.domaintools.com/albacorenetwork.com 
 http://reversewhois.domaintools.com/ber-holdings%2c-llc 
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Free Internet Access   All times are GMT - 5 Hours