home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
what is the differance between MAPI and POP3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> $10 & Under Cheap Dial Up ISP's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: what is the differance between MAPI and POP3 Reply with quote

This may sound like a dumb questions what is the differance between POP3 and MAPI ?
v_v

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldv,

Quote:
What is the difference between IMAP and POP?
When using POP, e-mail is downloaded to your workstation where you read your e-mail. If you read your e-mail from 3 machines it is downloaded everywhere you read. When using IMAP your e-mail stays on the e-mail server. The e-mail on the server and any folders that you have created on the e-mail server are visible by all clients.

The above quote came from some page at NASA. I have not been able to find the link.

At any rate as I understand the basic difference, when you use POP3 you download the email into your computer, and it is therefore removed from the email server that you downloaded it from. With IMAP when you download the email into your computer, a copy of it stays at the email server---until you decide to delete it.

One benefit of IMAP would be that suppose you are away from your computer and you want to check your email but do not want to permanently download the email into the computer that you are using (like say at a library computer). With IMAP you could download the email into the computer you are using, to read it, and then delete the email from the computer. But there would still be a copy at your email service so that when you get back to your own computer you can work with the email again. By contrast, if you download the email using POP3, the email would disappear from your email service.

[Edit]

I found another good informative quotation.

Quote:
# Why should I use IMAP? What is the difference between POP and IMAP?

FastMail.FM supports IMAP access to your email for all account level. We only support POP access for Full and Enhanced users. We highly recommend that you use IMAP where possible.

POP is a very simple protocol that only allows downloading of messages from your Inbox to your local computer. Generally, once transferred, the email is then on your local computer and is removed from FastMail.FM.

IMAP is a much more advanced protocol that allows you to see all your folders on FastMail.FM, and quickly view subjects and message bodies of emails, but delay downloading of larger emails (such as those with attachments) to a later time if you want. IMAP also allows you to synchronise mail folders between your home machine and FastMail.FM on the web, so that you see the same folders and messages wherever and however you access your email.

IMAP

Can view just message headers, and then choose which messages to download
Can delete/move a message without having to download it
Can download just text body of a message
Can view messages in all folders
Can access messages both at home/work, and on the road through the web interface

POP

Have to download all messages at once
Have to download all messages
Have to download entire message (including any large attachments)
Can only download messages from Inbox
Once downloaded, can only access messages at home/work

For more information see "  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/ExternalMail.htm  ". (This is not a plug for the Fastmail email service. It just happens that I found this information on their web page.)

I hope this helps.

v_v
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 14:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAPI is not IMAP.
Definition of MAPI: Messaging Application Programming Interface, a system built into Microsoft Windows that enables different e-mail applications to work together to distribute mail. As long as both applications are MAPI-enabled, they can share mail messages with each other.
I use PocoMail but you use let's say Outlook Express. Because both programs are MAPI-enabled, my email written in PocoMail can reach you in Outlook Express. (Not all programs are set up the same so what I'm seeing on the screen in terms of formatting, may not be what you see when you receive the email. Despite the difference, you can still read the message I wrote, even though line breaks might appear at unusual locations).
JoeyM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_v wrote:

Quote:
At any rate as I understand the basic difference, when you use POP3 you download the email into your computer, and it is therefore removed from the email server that you downloaded it from. With IMAP when you download the email into your computer, a copy of it stays at the email server---until you decide to delete it.

Actually, this is NOT correct. Within Outlook express (and other email client software) you can CHOOSE if you would like for your email to remain on the servers when using pop3.

exampe in Outlook Express:

Choose the [ TOOLS ] menu
Choose the [ ACCOUNTS ] menu item
Choose the [ MAIL ] tab
Select/highlight the name of the service you use for e-mail.
Click the [ PROPERTIES ] button
Choose the [ ADVANCED ] tab

Now you will see the "delivery" options. If you CHECK the box "leave a copy of the message on the server" and UNCHECK the "remove" options you will never delete mail off the server when using pop3 to pick it up. You can also select if you'd like the mail to be deleted after a certain amount of time.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the two formats of mail, but the above shows that it isn't that mail gets deleted when you pick it up when using pop3!

JoeyM
v_v

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 15:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldv,

As you can see my response was not entirely accurate, and it apparently did not address the question that you asked! At any rate, now you know a little bit about MAPI, IMAP, and a few of the features of some email programs!!

v_v
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> $10 & Under Cheap Dial Up ISP's   All times are GMT - 5 Hours