home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
1 megapixel = how many (mega) bytes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seagull369

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 15:30 pm    Post subject: 1 megapixel = how many (mega) bytes Reply with quote

I just bought a digital camera, which says it can take a picture up to 3.1 megapixel (mp) in resolution. Im a bit confused as to how large a file I can expect the camera to create in its memory, if say I choose to shoot a picture at max resolution.

I realize the answer to this depends if choose to save to a compressed format such as jpeg, so for now Im just wondering how large a file would be in an uncompressed form.

Thanx for any thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 18:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming 3 bytes (24 bits) per pixel, a 3.1 megapixel image takes up 9.3 MB. With JPEG t will be a lot smaller.
orillia3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 0:10 am    Post subject: this is what I know on camera memory Reply with quote

You will get about 300 pix on a 512 mb card on max settings, about 1.7 mb file size.

reference  http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...u=ULT31832 
Quote:

The number of pictures you can take varies depending on your camera model and complexity of the scene being photographed. To calculate how many pictures your card can hold, divide the capacity of your card by the average file size of your images. For example, if you have a 256MB card, and use a camera that has an average file size of 1.2MB, then 256 divided by 1.2 gives you approximately 213 pictures. As you change modes on your camera, the number of images will increase if you shoot in a lower resolution mode, and decrease if you shoot in a higher resolution mode.

APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF IMAGES PER CAPACITY OF CARD

MB = megabytes GB= gigabytes

* Average file size using cameras highest resolution JPEG mode. The actual number of images per card will vary and depends on the camera model and compatibility of the scene being photographed.

There would not be a direct correleation between the megapixel count and the image count if as commonly done the pictures are saved in jpeg format as jpeg uses compression. Only if saved in a native format would there be a direct correlation. This my opinion and I stand to be corrected on this.

On both my cameras the number of pictures left to take is displayed so you dont have to guess.

On my 3.2 megapixel camera with a 512 megabyte card my camera tells me I have 305 pictures left to take [I have a few on so you can add a few]. This is on the highest settings of image size 2048x1536 with quality set to "fine" which I assume is native resolution. With quality set to "standard" [which I assume is compressed somewhat] it goes up to 586 pictures left to take.
seagull369

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 13:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, folks.

So that's how it works? 3 bytes for every pixel?
orillia3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in theory, your 3 megapixel cameras picture file size would be about 9 megapixels. However in practice it will be compressed even at the highest setting and your actual picture file size will be much less, typically 1.2 or 1.7 mb or some other value determined by your camera's maker.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 19:43 pm    Post subject: Re: this is what I know on camera memory Reply with quote

Three bytes is typically one byte for each of red, green, and blue, which is standard for uncompressed images intended for computers. Typically people will say "24 bits per pixel" instead of three bytes per pixel. If your camera has a TIFF mode, this is probably what it gives you.

Many high-end cameras have a RAW mode which gives you the raw data off the image sensor. Raw images have more bits per pixel. Usually raw images have to be converted down to 24 bits to be displayed or printed, but the extra information gives you better control over brightness/contrast/etc.

In practice, jpeg is what most people use, and it takes up less space like Orilla says. The file size depends on what is in the picture and the quality setting (fine, standard, or some other names depending on the camera). For example, a picture of a blank sheet of paper will take up less space than a picture of a sheet of paper covered in text.
wali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: came Reply with quote

Hi freinds,
I bought olympus sz mr30 and it says 16 megapixel camera, i was told that your picture will be 16 mb but now i see my every picture is not more than 3.5 mb
xtgold

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: pros Reply with quote

pro cameras aren't even 16meg picture size raw.
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking megagpixel, and I guess this one does...
 http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/28714/olympus-sz-30mr/  wrote:
Olympus SZ-30MR
Ilse JurriŽn : March 3th 2011 - 10:25 CET

Olympus SZ-30MR digital camera : When Olympus announced the launch of the SZ-10 last month, it was hard to believe the optical zoom in a compact digital camera could get any more powerful. The new Olympus SZ-30MR shows that it can. With a powerful 24x wide optical zoom lens (25-600mm), this state-of-the-art flagship digital camera breaks all the rules in the compact camera category. The Olympus SZ-30MR is the first digital camera ever to offer simultaneous recording of 1080p Full HD videos and 16 Megapixel digital still pictures. So with the Olympus SZ-30MR camera, users can record in high resolution with different combinations of shooting modes at once, then share their pictures in the format of your choice. For example, as a video and picture or a wide-angle and a close-up shot.
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Help, Tips & Tricks   All times are GMT - 5 Hours