home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 am
Post  Title:

nordic

People tend to complain at length and approve in brief. Dissatisfaction has to be explained, so it produces longer comments. Satisfaction is concise (so concise that a lot of people don't bother to express it at all). When you're getting what you pay for, there isn't much to say.

So the weight of words usually falls on the side of the detractors, and creates an illusion that more is wrong than right. I couldn't correct that illusion here without wasting a lot of words. So this concise comment will just serve to register my satisfaction with Wirestar (lately Dialup.cc). We're getting what we pay for: plenty of time (the monthly limit is 350 hours) at near max speeds for a dialup connection (upper 40's kbps). Although, considering that we don't use the webspace allotment, or the e-mail account, we may be paying for a little more than we actually use.

I don't know what factors might separate the unhappy campers from the rest. Maybe we're lucky to live in a major metro where competition is lively and providers are probably more vigilant about service. All I can say is that our experience of 3 years has given us no cause for complaint, and reason enough to recommend Wirestar to anyone who's looking for simple basic Internet access.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:32 pm
Post  Title: Re: more wirestar lies

OG1

OUTTOSEA
I find the opposite to be truth. I continue to recommend  www.dialup.cc  as one of the better dialup ISP values!!
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 am
Post  Title: more wirestar lies

OUTTOSEA

ISP users,

This Kyle Leissner whoever (from dialup.cc or what is now called WIRESTAR INTERNET SERVICES after they took over the former) that posted a rebut to my earlier negative and true post really knows how to blow smoke out his butt as it were.

Reason I say this is because recently I was helping out a friend of mine solve her slower then normal cmptr 56k modem dialup connection. She had originally thought she picked up a malware virus, or possibly a bad worm that was slowing down her system.

As it were it wasn't a virus, or even a bad modem, or even a bad phone line/connection! I tested out all the inside/outside phone lines myself with my trusty phone line tester, and I had my good tech buddy at my local phone company check everything from his station over to her house. Everything was A-OK just fine!

Turns out she too is a present day Wirestar user, but not for long and for good reason. A couple of non-productive calls to their supposed Tech Dept in Dumbsville, TX proved to be the usual read from the "cheat sheet" with the usual stupid ??'s they always ask you trying to insinuate that it's your phone line causing the problem. Sure - tell me another story - Right…it's always the same garbage!

There is no way she is using 350 hours a month, as she works an 8+ hour 5 day workweek, and then drives 2+ hours total to and from work each workday as well. If she's on the cmptr 3-4 hours a day during the weekdays that's an understatement, as that alone leaves her 8 hours sleep each night, and I know she loves her 8 hours of sleep!

With 30 days in a month on average and saying 20 days are workdays - that leaves 10 days for weekends. With 80 ISP hours (using 4 hrs a day worst case) being used on weekdays that leaves 270 hours for the weekends, or what would be 27 hours a day on the weekends, and we all know there can only be 24 hours in a day - so who is shafting who here?

I know myself that I was getting timed out all the time even if I left my cmptr for 10-15 mins for a cup of coffee, so I know they are lying their butts off there! Just more ISP games is all.

Turns out they were timing her out constantly because she was nearing the end of the month, as is now the case with many a 56k dialup ISP whether you can prove they are lying or not. Seems like they all are doing this garbage to save a dime on line time with NO PROOF that you are indeed near your limited monthly hours usage being 200 or 450 or whatever!

I think this is criminal myself, as you the user have no way to verify this unless you wish to use a stopwatch and log book every time you log on, but that would be fruitless as you never know when they actually are dumping the connection - as ideal time timeouts are one thing, but outwardly lying about being maxed out is yet another. Seems like the ISP's are getting away with as much murder as they can, and big brother FCC is turning a deaf ear and blind eye to the mounting problems as well. Nobody cares anymore!

Not only that, but when I blew this rookie so-called tech out after the 2nd call he puts me on hold, and then puts on some really RUDE jerk who is trying to tell me he knows cmptrs & modems, and phone lines better then I do - which was a BIG JOKE to start with, none the less the ISP business as well, which I know all too well.

Yes folks - Wirestar is a real cream of the crop when it comes to RUDE Techs, and even worst Billing Office fraud/lies as it were. Not only that - they actually will do an offshore (outsource) send to either India or whatever from time to time, as I got several Indian speaking people on the phone one day and I couldn't understand either one of them, and told them I wanted the USA and someone that spoke English. Guess what? I got accused by some RUDE & CRUDE supposed Supervisor up in Canada of being a racist of all things! Yah - me a racist. I'm sure!

My Credit Union and I caught some jerk there named Peter in the Billing section (wherever that is btw) giving me the same garbage for 3-4 months running - as to me never getting a credit on a months worth of bad service as it were.

He kept giving me the same line of c r a p that he supposedly put through a 1-month credit yada yada yada to no end. Even used the excuse one month that my Credit Card wasn't activated supposedly, and that it couldn't be credited (as I did get a newly renewed Visa card one month, but it had nothing to do with his flaky lies there at that time).

Wirestar will use any excuse they can dig up you see. My Credit Union gals are one step ahead as usual, and this time he looked like a complete idiot, as we both backed him right into a corner. He kept pushing for the Credit Union to eat the "disputed charge" as though it was my CU's fault and that they should absorb the loss. Talk about TACKY! FRAUD is more like it.

We also caught him in several more dead on LIES as we were on a conference call and he didn't know I was listening. If more people did this I'm sure these ISP's would be more then shaking in their boots as it were. Helpful HINT here people - use it.

Anyway - my gal friend won't be using Wirestar much longer either, as she too is dumping them at my recommendation.

Goodbye Wirestar - either clean up your act or lose more accts - the choice is yours!

LIARS never gain or win anything! You only LOSE!
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 16:55 pm
Post  Title:

daawgon

Wirestar is one of those companies that makes it so difficult to cancel service that the customer throws up his hands in disgust before the process is over. In the meantime Wirestar is collecting unauthorized payments, and the process to recover them is often more difficult than it's worth. Anyone signing up with Wirestar or Dialup.cc is a damn fool!
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 pm
Post  Title: Re: http://www.dialup.cc/

CaptainTripps

OG1 wrote:
Apparently, you are using more than 400 hours per month.... Since you leave your connection on 24/7 no wonder you cannot remember.
According to their TOS, Dialup CC & Wirestar limits are 350 hours and nowhere did tburg state that the connection was on 24/7!
Quote:
Dial-Up Terms and Conditions
 http://www.wirestar.net/dialupTOS.php 
Users that use over 350 hours per calander month will be suspended until the next calendar month.

A termination request is valid only if it includes your main username, date you wish the service to be cancelled and the reason for canceling and is submitted using one of the following methods:
1. By sending an online request at  http://support.wirestar.net/ 
2. Via phone by calling 1-888-999-1525
Also found the address on the dialup.cc/wirestar website:
Code:
WireStar, Inc.
1-888-999-1525
P.O. BOX 10966
College Station, Texas 77840
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 22:04 pm
Post  Title: Re: http://www.dialup.cc/

OG1

Apparently, you are using more than 400 hours per month. You need two dialup accounts or get broadband. If you know your user name, you can cancel via phone. Since you leave your connection on 24/7 no wonder you cannot remember.
Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:25 am
Post  Title: http://www.dialup.cc/

tburg

Well I was ok with this ISP until like so many others here, I had to learn of the price rise by my CC bill, then here right now I learned of the time decrease. That one hit me hard!, my service just quit at the end of last month, with no explanation, when someone charges you more and reduces your services with out telling you, well thats stealing to me. My problem is this, I've been on here for a year, and I did not write down my username or password down back then, I didn't worry about it, cause everywhere I look on line- good Companies say "forget your password?" not here, I can't even contact these people! I'm going to have to go to my bank and put a stop on this Co. to close my account. Everywhere I look on line, I cannot find a phone #, are these people hiding?? Anyway there is several places with unlimited time and cheaper prices, cause after all, were here cause were CHEAP! ha! Thanks to Freedomlist for all this info!
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 20:48 pm
Post  Title:

ablang

Despite what they claim, they currently don't have Usenet access. Of course they are still transitioning under a merger or buyout.
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 15:04 pm
Post  Title: found another isp to replace dialup

goodspiritone

This post has been moved by the moderator of this forum
It can be found at:  http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic...p;start=80  
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 20:57 pm
Post  Title: Re: dialup.cc

OG1

You are free to get a pro-rated refund in order to get one of the few less than $7.99 ISPs - (e.g. All2Easy.net, etc.)
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 19:11 pm
Post  Title: dialup.cc

gump

DialUp.cc was a good ISP while they lasted. Got bought out by WireStar who stole the last 11 months of my 2 year prepaid contract by saying they were not going to honor my contract with DialUp.CC & they were going to take the remainder of the money I had paid & charge me double till the money ran out. Been thru this with a couple other ISP's that sold out to other companies, but at least the new company had the decency of honoring the remainder of my prepaid contracts. I guess I will have to switch ISP's again. Any good ones out there? Please reply. Thank You
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 22:29 pm
Post  Title:

dialupdotcc

OUTTOSEA wrote:

I was outright lied to at sign-up time - as to the V90 or V92 protocol though - as the sign-up CS rep guy said he was going to get me at least 2 V92 dial-up phone numbers for my Orange County, CA area. Right!!!!

The next CS rep I talked to a few days later tells me they have NO V92 numbers and that they all are old V90 instead. So much for that sign-up LIE.

We have always said that all of our numbers are V92 capable besides the state of CA. I am sorry if a representative misinformed you.

OUTTOSEA wrote:

Beings that the equipment routers are no doubt based in TX it's part of the poor service problem, as I'm in CA. They also are definitely not LEVEL 3 anything. I wish FREEDOMLIST would post this protocol info as well but they don't!

All of our numbers are Level3 besides the ones in CA, but this will be changing soon.

OUTTOSEA wrote:

Just to set things straight - as some people have posted that Wirestar is TX based, and that is no longer true.

They actually are in:

WIRESTAR INTERNET SERVICES
Vancover, BC

were formerly called:

DIALUP.CC INTERNET SERVICES
P.O. BOX 10966

This is wrong. We have some support representatives and servers in Cananda, but we are a Texas based corporation. Feel free to look us up on the Texas website.

We are sorry you had a bad expierence with our service. We try to please everyone, but as you know that is never possible.
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 15:24 pm
Post  Title:

OUTTOSEA

Getting rid of WIRESTAR ISP service shortly here myself and here's why.

I wasn't too happy with the online BAIT & SWITCH monthly fee increase as if you are charging $5 then it should be $5 and not $8 dollars. (I've just rounded off to nearest dollar as 4 cents isn't going to kill me and $4.94 or 4.99 is just the same as $5 folks). That kinda irritated me but I just ate it and said what the hell. Gotta be better then FRYS right? WRONG!!

I was outright lied to at sign-up time - as to the V90 or V92 protocol though - as the sign-up CS rep guy said he was going to get me at least 2 V92 dial-up phone numbers for my Orange County, CA area. Right!!!!

The next CS rep I talked to a few days later tells me they have NO V92 numbers and that they all are old V90 instead. So much for that sign-up LIE. Beings that the equipment routers are no doubt based in TX it's part of the poor service problem, as I'm in CA. They also are definitely not LEVEL 3 anything. I wish FREEDOMLIST would post this protocol info as well but they don't!

Supposedly PWACCESS is Level3 & Qwest, but now I have my doubts about them as well, as related to my degraded service with them just prior to going with FRYS.COM ISP service.

In the last 3 weeks that followed I've called in at least 5 times now complaining about poor bandwidth PERIOD. Constant TIME OUTS and NO CARRIER and random DROPOUTS at will. No rhyme or reason either.

The last phone call into their CS dept wherever it is was to demand a 1 months credit without acct disconnection so I can find another ISP that will at least give me a solid bandwidth connection. That is like trying to find a golden egg in a chicken coop if you know what I mean.

Just to set things straight - as some people have posted that Wirestar is TX based, and that is no longer true.

They actually are in:

WIRESTAR INTERNET SERVICES
Vancover, BC

were formerly called:

DIALUP.CC INTERNET SERVICES
P.O. BOX 10966

That's the straight poop - as within 4-5 days of signing up with them (after dumping FRYS.COM) my connections with them went down the tube.

The usual NO CARRIER and TIME OUTS up the KAZOO.

When I called them up the first time the CS rep there sounded somewhat knowledgeable so I tested him a bit asking somewhat specific ??'s at first. Then the second time I called was a bit more edgy if you know what I mean. CS rep didn't want to be too helpful at all. The 3rd time wasn't too bad as the guy sounded somewhat knowledgeable. After that 3rd call all I was hearing was "is your phone line fairly new?" "have you checked your house phone wiring?" "have you checked your modem?" "have you checked your modem settings?" ON and ON and ON with stupid cheat sheet ??'s to no end. Seems they were at the end of their noose if you know what I mean.

Been there - heard that - done that a 1000 times til I'm blue in the face.

Anyway - I hope you all get the right info from these CS depts as they sure are few and far in-between.

Note: superfluous information split and can be found here
 http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192092#192092  
plodr
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 21:48 pm
Post  Title:

OG1

I am in NJ and just used  www.dialup.cc.  NO issues - could be spyware on your PC.
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 am
Post  Title:

mfc_newjersey

just a heads up to subscribers of dialup.cc. If your billing email on file with them is not a dialup.cc email address, they dropped the ball on notifications. I never received it, or my last 2 billing confirmations. I learned of the price increase, and hence the acquisition of dialup.cc by some outfit called wirestar, via my credit card statement. I had to call 800 number to find out that I needed to look at dialup.cc webmail (which I never used in the 18 months I have been subscribed to the service, and would have never thought to check)

As previous posts note, price increased to 7.99, hours decreased to 350 per month. I believe quality of service is degraded as well.

I have, for the last few weeks, noticed degradation. Slower page loads than I am accustomed to on an excellent phone connection (nominal 49.2 bps), frequent DNS error pages, and daily disconnects. Perhaps I am wrong, but I am thinking this is coincident with wirestar having acquired this service.
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:35 am
Post  Title: Re: Un announced price increase

a_houstonian

goodspiritone wrote:
Well I guess the new owner decided to raise the rates without contacting it's former clients.

To be fair, dialup.cc / wirestar did send notification, at least to me, here is a copy / paste of the email they sent me: By the way my friend a few blocks away also quit dialup.cc when they increased prices, he switched to all2ez.net for $4.95 a month and they work fine for him, the 200 hours a month is adequate for his needs.

Anyway, here is the email sent to me:

Subject: DIALUP.CC Price Increase & New Features

admin@dialup.cc

Date:
02/20/08 12:35 am

Dear (my name was here),

Starting February 26th, 2008, all DIALUP.CC customers will be charged the
new WireStar price of $7.99 per month on their same anniversary billing date.

All customers who had prepaid semi-annual, annual, or bi-annual account
terms with DIALUP.CC were converted on January 28, 2008 to monthly
accounts. A credit was applied to those accounts equal to the amount of
unused time they had remaining on their previous contracts. Due to the
purchase of DIALUP.CC by WireStar, these contracts are no longer valid. All
customers that were on these prepaid plans now have an anniversary billing
date of the 28th of each month, and will be billed at the $7.99 monthly rate.
The credit left in these customers accounts will be deducted from by a total
of $7.99 every month on the 28th, until the credit is used up. At this point
at which the credit card or banking account on file will be debited from.

This price increase is due to the additional cost of redundancy,
improvements, and upgrades WireStar has invested in order to make your
internet experience more enjoyable. We hope you are enjoying the new
features we released last month (http://www.dialup.cc/improvements.php).
Beginning in March, we will be adding additional new features which include:

Newsgroups:
We are pleased to announce that all users of our services will be allowed to
access our newsgroups on our Usenet service free of charge. We will have
thousands of different newsgroups available. As a result of these positive
changes, each customer will have to availability to find something that
interests each person.

Expanded Coverage:
We have expanded out our network coverage area. Currently, we have
around 6,000 access numbers, but starting in March we will begin to expand
our network to close to 35,000 access numbers. We will offer coverage in
entire states, territories, and countries we never had access in before such
as Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Once the network
expansion is complete, there should be very few areas in the United States
where we do not have a local access number.

Personal WebPages:
We will offer you a 25MB FTP account where you can upload a website or
personal files to your site, which will be located at:
 http://users.dialup.cc/ 

The following New Services will be available in March:

Accelerated Dialup Access:
Starting in March DIALUP.CC users will be able to add accelerated services
to their account for only two dollars more a month by switching to our
accelerated dialup plan, priced at $9.99 per month. The accelerator will
dramatically increase your web surfing and email speed by 6X or more!
Pages that previously took 30 seconds to load can now be viewed in less
than 7 seconds with an average dial-up modem connection! More
information on the accelerated product will be released in March.

Filtered Access:
We will offer filtered internet access to any account for an additional three
dollars per month.

If you have any question or would like to cancel your account, please
contact us using MyHelpDesk by visiting:

http://support.wirestar.net 

We recommend you email us if you would like to cancel your account. Please
login to the MyHelpDesk interface with your username () and
password. Click on "I would like to start working on a new problem". Then,
type the subject, your message, and click "Email an Expert". We will
respond to your request in a timely manner.

We have recently updated our Terms of Use, and will continue to do so as
new services are released. Please read the updated Terms of Use at your
convenience by visiting:

http://www.dialup.cc/terms.php 

Thank you for choosing WireStar Internet Services as your internet service
provider. We hope you enjoy the new features and services we are
providing you with.

Sincerely,
WireStar Support Team
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 21:47 pm
Post  Title: Un announced price increase

goodspiritone

Well I guess the new owner decided to raise the rates without contacting it's former clients. I will try them for a while but with this new rate. They are less
competitive, than before.
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 19:03 pm
Post  Title: Attitude and Service = F

Froggy

I did not receive notice of the change in ownership as they sent it to my dialup.cc address rather than the one that was always used for billing. I didn't know about the change in ownership and rate change until it showed up on my credit card. I emailed indicating I wanted to cancel before the next billing, but wanted the service for the month I had paid for. Two hours later I was unable to check back to see if they had responded to the email and the account had been closed with only 5 days service. This worked out to $2 per minute of use. I only use it as a backup for my satellite service so will be going with VTISP which seems well thought of here. I would definately rate this company's attitude and service an F and would under no circumstances ever return.
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 23:01 pm
Post  Title:

aci-john

bazgra wrote:
Wirestar bought Dialup, raised fees, restricted use to 350hours/m, but did not notify customers of policy change. Suspended my fully paid up service and denied me my email. I did get them to reopen my account after legal threat.
I am now looking for a new low cost dialup ISP with reliable service and support. Devilish

Sorry. If you were affected by a 350 hour change. You need to get a premium provider, such as LocalNet, ISP.com or Earthlink. An isp that can average you into more than half a million others. Plain and simple. I bet its a customer like you that made the new company have to raise the rate, and set a lower limit, LOL
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 18:50 pm
Post  Title:

bazgra

Wirestar bought Dialup, raised fees, restricted use to 350hours/m, but did not notify customers of policy change. Suspended my fully paid up service and denied me my email. I did get them to reopen my account after legal threat.
I am now looking for a new low cost dialup ISP with reliable service and support. Devilish
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next