home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 21:52 pm
Post  Title: http://www.550access.com/

ChrisG
Beware - They block Port 25, which means that you HAVE to use their e-mail address exclusively for sending your e-mail out.

Unfortunately we didn't find out until after we signed up.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:56 am
Post  Title: Do not sign up for this isp!

bcarson

I asked them to cancel my account numerous times after switching to another more reliable isp. I constantly got disconnects with them. After asking them to cancel more than a month ago, both via phone message (you will never be able to speak with them directly), and via email, they keep charging me the monthly fee after every request to cancel. BEWARE! This is not a legitimate company! Once they get your credit card number they will keep using it to bill you long after you try to terminate your account with them.
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:45 am
Post  Title: cancel 550 access

jbrowne6
in march of 2005 after numerus message 691, i went to another isp, caceling
550 access by email and phone message, never did get a confirming cacel-
lation.
but the billing company still charges my account 8.95 month, sounds like
what aol got caught with giving employees bonus'es for holding cancelation
notices.
try calling vip powernet, to stop billing at their texas 713 number most of the time you get no answer or no repl to message, iguess i'll dowload the ftc form.
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 23:51 pm
Post  Title:

bruce bailey
๑۞๑
Your mistake was picking an ISP with software or a dialer. Go with one that is DUN under $8.00.
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 21:55 pm
Post  Title: danger

ruhani04
I have been a netzero customer for many years and wanted to check a cheaper competitor.
But unfortunately my experience was discouraging.
After downloading and installing their dialer I got slow connections and the worst I got some sort of spyware that installed itself amongst windows services which made it very hard to uninstall. This piece of software made my cpu run at 80% load. Horrible.
Sorry, this one was not for me.
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 17:10 pm

mfpanco
i sent in a check to start service with 550access and spoke with a person to get set up on line but cannnot access onto the internet via the phone number i was given.i called and left several messsages but received not one resonse.i'm very disappointed with 550 and because of this i will not be subscribing to your service,if that s the way your business is run i'm definatly not interest.
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:18 am
Post  Title: Try to cancel

WDC
I can't complain about their service. It works even if with some disconnects with no reason. But! Now, when I'm trying to cancel the service, the real fun begins. 1. Cancel by phone - $5 per call. 2. Cancel by creating a trouble ticket - doesn't work, page is down. 3. Live support - doesn't work, page is down.
If I ever had any intentions to use this ISP after some time, those intentions are not here any more. I don't like cheap tricks like ones I told you about. So does American Express. Buy, 550access!
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 20:44 pm
Post  Title: pretty fast isp!

Grin I just signed up for this ISP again, after having cancelled my service with them months ago. I must say--I'm quite impressed! The connection speed I'm getting here in the Miami area is only 30, 667 BPS, but the speed of my IE6 Browser is as good as NetZero Platinum (which is pretty darned fast)! The only difference is that I don't have to put up with NetZero's constant software updates. I just dumped them like a hot potato! I LOVE 550 access! Keep up the great work, guys!
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:44 am
Post  Title: Service is getting Better..

Ray
Well after reading all of the reviews, i decided to give them try. We are located in a isolated areas with few isps and 550access was one of them. I signed up and used thier offline support software to walk my self to creating connection and going to the internet. I have to say, it was alot easier then i figured. I called thier support line today and left a message because i wasnt able to send my emails. I got a call back about 10 minutes later, and the girl walked me thru setting up my email properly (I forget to add @550access.com) She was a sweet gal. My connection speed has been 50 k, but i have the highspeed dial, which is an amazing tool. I havent had any problems with my hours, so far they have been off few seconds, but pretty accurate by my count. Thank you freedomlist for helping me find a good provider.

Appreciated.
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 14:19 pm
Post  Title: Good so far with 550access

I've had a 550access account for 6 months, used primarily on weekends in a small Va. town, but also occasionally while traveling in metro areas (mid-Atlantic) and as backup for my regular broadband ISP.

I'm quite satisifed so far. The dialer is convenient (all access numbers pre-loaded); I haven't encountered busy signals; and the connect speeds have been very good (48-50k). You can monitor your monthly usage online. And of course, the price is great. Smile

One small note: With standard account, 550access blocks Port 25, so you can't send email via regular mail clients (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.). You'll need to use webmail, or check whether your mail provider offers SMTP on a different port.
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:53 am
Post  Title: Re: Same dial ups!

You are correct in what you say to a point, however NetZero has it's own dial up #'s. My point was more directed to the slower speeds due to this obvious corprate way of things.
with the new adjustments to pricing, NetZero may give a better rate and speed then all others!
Big Grin Guest
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 22:13 pm
Post  Title: Re: Same dial ups!

Code:
 It is truly obvious you have not checked out most isps as they share national numbers.   I have checked into several isps.   They have all national numbers that are shared thats the way of the business if you think I am wrong look at the isps access numbers you will see what I mean. 
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:11 am
Post  Title: Same dial ups!

I was going to sign with all2ez but I found out they are useing the same dial up phone number as 550 and that equates to me that both will be as slow to connect and the speed will be the same. I remember years ago in a small community that had River ISP near Tucson, there were only about 40 modems to connect the local users. then the company put in over a 100 modems and the speed picked up considerably.
Oh well, no win situation and must just cool my heels and maybe when I move form this apt I will get UNTD,I connect at 59 kbaud with NetZero free.
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:43 pm
Post  Title: Fed Up

rntkid
I have been with this ISP for almost a year. In the beginning I had constant disconnect problems, which finally stopped. The speed has gotten much slower. The Customer Service is terrible. If you do get lucky enough to have someone available for Live Chat, they leave you hanging for a long time in between replies. If you submit a Trouble Ticket, the responses are of no help. They always seem to come from the same guy, who is totally useless. Telling them they have not resolved the problem does no good--they close the Trouble Ticket anyway. I'm switching ISPs at the end of the current billing period. Mad
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:45 am
Post  Title: 550 access

Just want to echo some of the comments here about very slow access and very slow connect speeds with 550. It all started very well with 48-49 Kbaud connects then down to 45 or lower and many tries to connect, maybe 10 minutes or more! the page loads now are way to slow and I may switch to one of the other ISP cheapies at $4.95 a month.
Oh well, maybe just go back to NetZero for $9.95 a month!
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 21:31 pm
Post  Title: I thought I was just a confused rookie

mspiebaker
I thought I was just a confused rookie. I signed up for the 30day free trial period & have never been able to log on.
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:41 pm
Post  Title: Re: Overlapping usage again...

OG1
unregistered wrote:
I'm getting frustrated with the 691 errors and overlapping usage on my account. I posted about this last October and I don't think 550access did anything about it. I had problems again (691) with logging in today and discovered more overlapping times in my usage log. It could be the ISP I'm dialing into but 550Access doesn't seem to be proactive in finding out issues unless it effects many subscribers. I also have had two out of the three local dialing numbers "go inactive" or out of business. One # left, looks like I'll be moving on. Price is good, but the customer support is poor.

They have a problem with their Radius Server. When you log-off, the sever does NOT log you off so when you log on again it appears you are two persons using the SAME ISP account. This happened at  www.all2easy.net  some time ago which was fixed within a week.
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:16 am

dl
went online to purshase, purchased, then could,t get the downloads to continue. what a mess
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 19:03 pm
Post  Title: Overlapping usage again...

I'm getting frustrated with the 691 errors and overlapping usage on my account. I posted about this last October and I don't think 550access did anything about it. I had problems again (691) with logging in today and discovered more overlapping times in my usage log. It could be the ISP I'm dialing into but 550Access doesn't seem to be proactive in finding out issues unless it effects many subscribers. I also have had two out of the three local dialing numbers "go inactive" or out of business. One # left, looks like I'll be moving on. Price is good, but the customer support is poor.
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:34 am
Post  Title: Re: Cant Access account

try
You may want to try again I think if I read right they have a 150 hr limit per month. I do believe they reset you when the month starts again.
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next