home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:19 am
Post  Title: Very Satisfied User.

HamBone
I read a bunch of complaints about localnet but decided to try it anyway because they offer unlimited ISDN (128k) for the same price as dial up. Holy Moly! Where else can you find that deal?????

So far the service has been excellent. Never bumped off no matter how long I am connected. All emails come through, including ZIP files. So if there was a problem with attachments, it has been resolved, or maybe it is a local thing. Typical connection speed is 119k up and down.

The one time I called to see if the local server was down, a real person answered the phone! No waiting, no "farmed out of country" support staff. The problem turned out to be with my telephone company.

So all in all, I have no problems with Localnet. Good staff and great connection speeds.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:36 am
Post  Title: LocalNet.com

LaughingBoy
I have been using Localnet.com for a few months now. So far so good. The upload and download speeds are on par with other ISp's across the country. I know that because I use various connection speed tests (free on the web, just search) and I always come out equal or slightly higher than the average.

Also have two different local number to call. I did pay a $12 setup fee. But that was nothing to set up a dual channel 128k isdn unlimited account.
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 16:32 pm
Post  Title: Localnet doesn't ***.

TucsonPete
I have been a Localnet customer for years. I have used it all over the USA (on the road). I always connect at good speeds and never have any type connection or speed problem.

In regard to the others who write about Localnet blocking emails with zip files. They are doing YOU a service by blocking 95% of the viruses that are sent.

Instead of blaming an innocent company for poor service, why don't you computer illiterate people get a book on computers.
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 17:08 pm
Post  Title: Re: localnet not

y6290: LocalNet's not your problem. Your problem is that your computer is infected from AOL. That why you get Netscape when you first log on. LocalNet is a fine dial up provider. You get a great bang for your buck. I use it, have for years and loveit!!
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 21:42 pm
Post  Title: I hate LocalNet!

DeeG
I used to have LocalNet internet untill about a week ago. This isp really sux for lots of reasons including, web pages load very slowly, they took payments out of my checking account when they shouldn't, it kept me from opening internet explorer. If your looking for an isp don't get Localnet the worst part is when you want to cancel you have to write a letter so it dosen't disconnect immediatley. DON"T get Localnet it sux!
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:04 am
Post  Title:

Frosty, After a LOT of reaseach, I switched to All2easy. Using my download meter I NOW get speeds in the 48,000, not 20,000 (using Localnet). So, you see, it's NOT the modem ...since I'm using the same modem and computer.

And you must also remember that Localnet will REJECT emails coming to you if they have .zip files attached (and others types too). AND when someone replies to an email you sent to them via Localnet, it will not be delivered (Localnet rejects them much of the time). So you may not realize that people are trying to reply to your emails and you are not getting them.

Are you happy with that? ...you may be since perhaps you don't need certain files emailed to you that Localnet refuses to deliver. But I can't ever be happy with ANY ISP that decides on their own what emails are going to be delievered and which are going to be rejected.
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 18:23 pm
Post  Title:

Frosty
Am I one of the few who actually like LocalNet? I have several access numbers in my area and have no problems with any of them. Very good connections which maintain the same download speed over several hours. I use DU Meter v3.07 to monitor my average speed and it's usually in the 5.3 - 5.6kbps range. When downloading files I also get around the same average speed according to GetRight and with whatever browser I happen to use for downloads, too. I think this actually equals something like a 44000 connection but my actual connection speed is only 45200 with all isps I've tried, so no problems for me. There's too much emphasis put on the displayed connection speed because it can depend on the modem and driver. Before I downloaded an updated modem driver, my connection was displayed as 56k but actual speed was the same. I've checked with a friend and my 45200 connection with LocalNet is actually as fast as his displayed 52000 connection with another national ISP, when it comes to downloading files. So, IMHO, LocalNet is getting bad raps and reputation here in the reviews. One more thing, thanks LocalNet for the great service I receive.
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 21:17 pm
Post  Title: localnet

jimfromindy
I have noticed for some time now that both the dialup and hi-speed connections I use with Localnet have astounding speed losses over time. My broadband connection download speed dwindles from hundreds Kbs to 2.3 Kbs in a matter of section - dialup speeds.

My dialup connection fails at anything over 21.6.

BUT...the fellow who had the problem with Netscape's initial page coming up - that's a Netscape setting in preferences.

Still...I'm looking for another ISP as we speak. Localnet is definitely lame.

Sure regret having subscribed for a year into the future with this garage outfit. Dumb.
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 14:22 pm
Post  Title: http://www.localnet.com/

Lurker
Localnet continues to go downhill. Lately, the speed has been getting worse and worse. Like most, I get a high connection speed, but my actual download speed ***. They continue to claim that there's nothing wrong and that this is normal for a dialup connection. In other words, they can't even deliver a steady 5K worth of data per second. That's just beyond pathetic!
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:02 am
Post  Title: localnet not

y6290
[size=18][/size
Have had nothing but problems since I joined Loacalnet. My biggest mistake was contracting for 3 months instead of just one. Now when I log on, I get NETSCAPE as the initial page and have to work like hell to get Localnet.com to come up to use my internet.
Take it from me...there is nothing out there that will compare to AOL, but unfortunately they do not have a local toll free Access Number from my location. When I tried to get AOL as a secondary ISP, I wasted 4 days and well over 5 hours on the last day alone listening to ways to get it and in each case I was left holding on a dead line. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH LOCALNET THAT THEY CAN'T GIVE BETTER SERVICE?
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 19:37 pm
Post  Title: suxorz

metaphor85
My family has been using LocalNet for two years, because during Christmastime they ran a special, a year of internet for $100. But you get what you pay for. The first year we had it, I noticed no real problems, it was just a little slow. This year, I noticed speeds of 16-24 kbps, (our average speed is 18.6! shock ) and being disconnected sporadically. Since I have gone back to college I haven't had to deal with the craptacular internet at home, but I'm told that it sometimes takes my dad a half an hour just to load his email. This internet service is ridiculous. I would not recommend it at all if you want to actually use the internet.

... oops i forgot i'm in... Noble County, Indiana
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:19 am
Post  Title: no explorer

I signed up for localnet & my pc would not go on internet, I called & was told my pc was the problem! I thought it was trying to crash so finally after talking to techs & starting in safe mode & all kinds of things I finally decided to remove localnet since I started having this problem after I put localnet on! ! That time when I restarted my computer it worked as it always did. I felt like I wasted my money because I could not use it , then I had to write a letter just to have them not charge anymore. I was completely dissatisfied.
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:19 am
Post  Title: Major Problems with Localnet

NoNeck
I used to recommend Localnet to everyone since they were only $9.99 and had reliable service. 3 years later, my new girlfriend needed a good dila-up servie and I got her right on Localnet. Big Mistake.

Things I have now discovered about Localnet:

1.) Even though the connection speed is at 49-51 Kbs, testing consistantly shows only 22-23 Kbs is let through by Localnet. This is evil.

2.) When I tried to send her a .zip file, it is returned as "underliverable." I called Localnet and they told me that they filter emails. WHAT!!?? How DARE you decide what emails get through to from me to my girlfriend. They proceeded to tell me they also disallow other document attachments, like .html and some .doc. She happens to use her connection for work, so now she can NEVER recieve .zip files because Localnet refuses them.

3.) If I send her an email and she replies, and I reply back, the email is rejected by Localnet EVERY time and she never knows I replied. This is unexcusable, Localnet.

4.) If you include an  Http://  URL in the email with a .zip in the address, the email is never delivered. Example:  http://www.ibm.com/myfile.zip.  The email is flat-out rejected.

5.) Many time when connecting to Localnet, you have no connectivity to the internet; you must disconnect and reconnect ...sometimes 3-4 times before you actually can get on the  WWW. 

6.) Lastly, connections are dropped CONSTANTLY. Every hour the connection is dropped and redialing is needed. This is particularly fun when downloading large files or doing work from home for your small business.

What a joke this company is. They don't care about all this either. I am a network engineer and have been on the phone with them many times and these things just don't seem to matter to them. Unfortunaely, my gorlfriend paid for 3 months in advance and we must ride this terrible ISP out.
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 15:39 pm
Post  Title: localnet connection while out of home area

ritab311
I have only been able to connect to my email twice in 2 weeks away from my home. This is not the service I expect from a provider.
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:32 am
Post  Title:

CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps wrote:
...Good download speeds, which don't seem to decline over a multi-hour connection. ...As for speed and connection and privacy - they get a 100% rating from me. My advice, don't let the setup fee discourage you from giving them a try, they are as good as ANY and better than A LOT of others!!
Please pass the ketchup so I can flavor my words as I eat them!

The download speed was good for awhile but within days of my review, they declined with nearly every connection. Perhaps it's not their fault as an ISP but is with the backbone they use with the local dialup number (FiberNet). Every ISP I've tried with that number has the same problem, decent connection speed but speeds decline after awhile.

I wrote support when I encountered a problem with the DNS numbers listed on the website, their reply:
Quote:
...The settings that are on the website are correct for all of our access numbers...setting your connection to automatically detect settings is our preferred way of having things set up...
Then they updated the site with the current functioning DNS numbers. So if they prefer automatic detection why list the DNS numbers at all and why change them if they were correct as they told me they were? I didn't check to see if the updated dialer is available on the website but the one I downloaded when I signed up, didn't minimize to the system tray but only to the taskbar and didn't have all the numbers listed. Support's answer was this:
Quote:
Why the LocalNet Dialer is not minimizing to the system tray I do not know, as that is the way that it is supposed to work...If it is not functionsing properly, I would suggest that you contact Our Technical support department, and we can walk you through remaking the connection so that it will minimize to the system tray instead of the task bar...Most likely the number that you are using was just recently added, and that is why it is not listed in the downloaded dialer.
More likely support didn't know what dialer they were offering for download! Walk me through what? If technical support can "walk me through.." and make the downloaded dialer minimize to the system tray - I'd eat my computer instead of my words!!! Sure enough when they sent a mini-cd (after I requested it) the dialer did minimize to system tray and had all the numbers but it was an entirely different version than the one offered for download on the website when I signed up!

Now to top it all off... I decided to cancel and found information stating that you can cancel via e-mail or toll free call. I sent an e-mail and got this automatic reply:
Quote:
To cancel your account, please send written confirmation to the following address...Cancellations can also be accepted by fax and can be sent to 716-210-1052. Please include the account holder's name, the LocalNet username, the reason for cancelling, and the account holder's signature.
Strange that they need a signature for cancellation when you're not going to give them more money but not when you sign up to pay them a setup and monthly fee! So now I completly recant everything I said in my ealier review as a guest on the forum. My advice - avoid them because apparently support doesn't know what's on the website and they're not at fault for anything. There are many other ISPs to check out - so don't bother with LocalNet.

BTW, words aren't hard to swallow if you chew them long enough. Wink
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:36 am
Post  Title:

CaptainTripps
LocalNet seems to be a very good ISP though they are one of the few which charge a setup fee. I think this fee is not only for extra profit but is the price for your internet privacy, quote from their privacy policy:
Quote:
LocalNet does not monitor email, world wide web use, newsgroup access or any other aspect of your Internet use.

How many ISP's secretly or openly monitor your web usage? This privacy policy is well worth the small, one time setup fee. (Note: they don't state that the charge is for privacy) The setup fee does not deprive you of immediate access to the net - so you decide what it's for on your own.

In my area they use the same backbone as Intergate, which is notorious for monitoring your use and dealing out punishment suspensions and even cancellation if you go against their "acceptable use policy" which seems to have a very loose interpretation - according to their mood at the moment. So LocalNet beats them hands down, no comparison!!!

No connection problems encountered though there is only 1 access number in my area. Good download speeds, which don't seem to decline over a multi-hour connection. They give directions for manually inserting DNS settings in DUN but an e-mail from support states :
Quote:
...setting your connection to automatically detect settings is our preferred way of having things set up...

so once they update their webpage to reflect this and update the dialer to include all numbers... they'll get a 100% rating from me. As is stands now, I'd give them a 90% rating only because some less experienced users might not know how to update their dialer or even know how to set up DUN to access them. As for speed and connection and privacy - they get a 100% rating from me. My advice, don't let the setup fee discourage you from giving them a try, they are as good as ANY and better than A LOT of others!!
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:37 am

Dallas
Your mailbox memorys must be very small.I have never been able to send a complete message
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 13:32 pm

casbeer
why I can not get to my account
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 17:49 pm
Post  Title: Localnet has turned to crap for me!

John
I'm in CT, and for the past 6 months, Localnet has *** for me! I always connect at 49,333, but my downloads in the evenings drop to 1-2K per second, or even lower, often stopping completely for a minute or more. Localnet's "expert" tech support has blamed this on line noise, my modem, the sites I'm downloading from, and even on too many people using the phone system! Right now I'm connected through Juno and downloading at over 6K a second. Localnet was giving me about 2K!

I even had someone with much more experience than myself check my connection and he got the same pitiful performance. I sent his test results to Localnet and they never even bothered to respond.

On July 23rd, my Localnet access went from being fast and stable 24/7, to being pathetically slow during the evenings and on the weekends. The last couple of days, it's been next to unusable during the day. Forget trying to play any multiplayer games, or deal with any kind of streaming media, the download speed is so bad as to make it useless to even try.

The kicker is that Localnet tells me this is normal!!!

I can't prove it, but I think they know about this problem and are covering it up. Everytime I've managed to get someone mildly important on the phone (supervisor, engineer), I'm promised that they'll investigate and get back to me. The next day I get the standard canned response "There are no problems here. We cna't guarantee any set download speed. There is nothing more we can do." The funny part is that when I ask if they connected to the local access numbers and tested the throughput, I get no response at all.

Anyone else in this area using Localnet? If so, what are your experiences?
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 16:41 pm
Post  Title: LOCALNET SERVICE

EARLE
dial up at 49.2
toll free line takes a bit,but the trech's know what they're doing and VERY couteous.

i've had the service for a year now and it only get's better.

6-8 local dial up's
didn't like their cd set up,so opted for a manual set up re:connection.

i've linked their website to my own and plan on keeping it there.

i'm located here in the NE,Ct.

MAJOR blackout in N.Y. and N.J. as i write. don't blame your ISP,lol,today.

outages all over U.S.

back to review,
only have good word's to say about this ISP.
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next