home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 15:28 pm
Post  Title: used them for years went to quest wireless

goodspiritone

used them for years as dialup they went slow as a snail
using quest wireless its great
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 14:53 pm
Post  Title:

Fla_Gal

Frys.com as an ISP ***!

Most of the time it takes 15 to 25 minutes to get connected to them. When trying to get connected I see, or hear:

Unable to establish a connection
Invalid user name or password (I don't retype the password and eventually get online, this happens a lot)
The sound of the modem - eeeeeeeee, and I cancel and try to reconnect and of course get, unable to establish a connection.

The price of this service is cheap but it doesn't seem worth it when it sometimes takes up to half an hour to get connected.

There are times I get disconnected, three or four times a session, and have to go through the above again.
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:09 am
Post  Title: Re: Frys 404 redirection

BobThompson

BobThompson wrote:
Frys has started redirecting 404 errors to a page of paid search results on  http://ww13.notfoundhelp.net .

Article about this subject:  Testing Your Internet Connection for ISP DNS Diversions 

--
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 18:32 pm
Post  Title: Frys 404 redirection

BobThompson

Frys has started redirecting 404 errors to a page of paid search results on  http://ww13.notfoundhelp.net .

My solution was to install Treewalk DNS ( http://www.treewalkdns.com/ ) so I no longer use Fry's DNS server.

FWIW, o1.com is the Frys backbone provider here.

Before installing Treewalk DNS, I verified that this is a Frys issue by flushing the DNS cache (as Administrator):

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache

Then I connected via a different ISP and the 404 redirection did not occur.

I realize that another solution would be to use OpenDNS ( http://www.opendns.com/ ) but I understand that they're doing some sort of Google redirection unless you opt out (IIUC, opting out requires storing their cookie).

--
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 15:02 pm
Post  Title: frys isp does the job for me

whmitty

I have been using FRYS for about 18 months. It does require a little "geek" to establish a port other than 25 for e-mail but once connected I have been more than satisfied given the $5.99/mo fee. I've great success downloading 150MB files overnight without connection failures. I now use Linux so the FRYS provided SlipStream dial-up accelerator is not longer of value.

That said, on rare occasions there are disconnections but this is more likely due to my living in rural North San Diego County where my best connection is typically 26.4K because of the low-grade phone and power lines up here.

BIG DOWNSIDE: FRYS' on-line Web site dedicated to their ISP service is monumentally amateurish in both its appearance and functionality. It appears as though someone in a 3rd world country used a cheap Web site builder on one of those "green" free computers powered by turning a crank.
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:12 pm
Post  Title: http://www.frys.com

OUTTOSEA

4 words about Frys $6 a month basic dial-up ISP service:

FRYS DIAL-UP ISP ***!!!

I tried it during their initial 30-day free trial sign-up period, and it appeared to be somewhat better than the then existing (lousy) PWACCESS ISP I was using at that time a few months ago.

They don't support LINUX OS - as to their accelerated (faster) 56k dialup version.

They also make the accelerated 56k dialup version appear as though it's actually a DSL service, which is a "falsehood" they need to correct at their online homepage OUTPOST.COM site!

I've since recently dumped FRYS.COM as well after only using their ISP service for a month and a half past the free trial period.

Not only did the ISP change from being somewhat consistent during the 30-day FREE trial period, but after that 30-day period it just seemed to go all to hell.

I actually had a 1-day glitch period where I had NO ISP connection at all. Right at or about the 30-day mark after signing up with FRYS. My guess there was that it was the ISP billing switch-over where they dumped my account only to re-instate it again through some funky off-shore system glitch of theirs no doubt.

They - FRYS - no doubt are using a cheap off-shore 3rd world country like India to do their billings even though they would have you believe it is being done in CA somewhere in the SF Bay area?? Anyone's guess these days? Been there - been through this 3rd world country garbage before - been fed up with this practice up to my neck to no avail. A way of life in the USA today!

In the roughly 6 weeks of using FRYS ISP service - that followed that initial free 30-day sign-up period - I had to call up FRYS at least 5 times (at my own expense btw because they have NO toll-free 800 customer service at all). The CS toll calls alone cost me $4+ out-of-pocket as it was. Added to the monthly service charge that comes to over $10 a month - which isn't a very good deal at all if you ask me! They - as a large electronics CA store chain company - are just too cheap to provide any good customer service it would seem.

Too bad - as it doesn't do their great store image any good! I shop the store all the time as to their great product deals there, but their lousy ISP service only degrades that image and great customer service image!! Bummer!

Each time I called to complain about the LOUSY degraded bandwidth I was getting I only got some flaky so-called tech person there who didn't know their head from their azz!

They couldn't even answer the simplest of ??'s such as V90 or V92 protocol. I finally found out they are still using the outdated V90 standard, which is some 7-8 years outdated and old school now. Not up to speed at all.

What really frustrated me was that my initial free trial period bandwidth connections turned from fairly consistent 48000k to 49.333k connections, which btw aren't too bad when doing photo uploads, etc to my selling ads - down to constant 46.667k annoyingly SLOW connection speeds (actually only 16000k or less true transfer speed), with which you pretty much can't do anything with today online! ***!

No matter how many times I'd disconnect and re-dial up it was the same old thing - LOUSY 46.667k connection to no end. Couldn't even get a 48000k connection at all.....

Guess that says it all right there huh?

When I canceled the FRYS ISP service a couple of days ago the billing rep there at FRYS didn't even care to hear my reason(s) why. Just as though he had heard it a 1000 times in the past - which he no doubt did btw.....poor guy!

I feel sorry for FRYS in a way - that being that the lousy ISP service they are offering online actually is making people TURNED OFF as a result, and no doubt is actually hurting their in-store sales as well.

If they don't care then I guess they just don't care, as it's $$$$$ lost to them and not me!

You wonder why the USA is going downhill fast - there's a perfect example why!
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 am
Post  Title:

ColoredFont

Captain Tripps' experience and mine with Frys seem to coincide exactly. And I experienced the same billing issues. I was surprised but I too was able to cancel (I did mine last summer via email) with no problem and no further billing.
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 am
Post  Title:

CaptainTripps

Fry's might have been a great isp at one time but based upon my experiences with them - those days are gone. My first few connections seemed to work fine but after that I seemed to have trouble of some kind with every connection. First, I started receiving "Error 691 Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain" but after a few minutes I could connect or could connect by using another number. Second, when I had no connection problem - after a few minutes the connection would just come to a standstill though I was still connected.

Their billing is something else! They don't seem to have a certain date to bill your credit card. My first billing was for 2 months and was billed on the 12th of the 3rd month I used the service. The next month I was billed for one month on the 22nd. My bookkeeping and theirs didn't match up - I think they gave me 2 free months instead of the one guaranteed on signup. Had they been a consistent and reliable isp, I would've contacted them and told them that they'd made a mistake in my favor but since they were so unreliable I kept quiet. The extra free month didn't, in any way, make up for the poor service and only prolonged my frustration. I cancelled with no problem and haven't been billed since receiving the notice that my account was disabled.

Use this isp at your own risk (as with any isp). Reviews of isps which work great for some and terrible for others are found on nearly every isp reviewed here at Freedomlist. Just keep in mind the negative reviews of Frys before making the decision to sign up for their service.
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:22 am
Post  Title:

lanesant

I appreciate you writing me. I can spend a lot of time online so I need
something which doesnt have a daily usage meter. I loved Frys cause
they were so disfunctional. I often wondered how they stayed in
business. In 5 yrs of being with them I never once recieved an email
from them.

I really hate the idea of going back to mainstream internet but I might
just do that as $21.95 a month is not really bad when one considers all
the charges these low prices services are asking.

I considered one which is called  http://www.lanset.net/  However, I have
not heard anything about them. They are a national service and charge
$13.95 a month unless you pay by the year and then its cut down to $8
a month. I went into online chat with them and was told that they have
zero usage limitations. They have hundreds of dialup number across
the states. So I'm going to keep that one in mind. I am going to call them soon and ask questions. I read their TOS and sounds pretty good
however, you never know these days.

I might just try them for one month and see how it all works. I'll be sure
to post my findings regardless of the outcome with them.

Thanks again for writing.

Ray
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 14:26 pm
Post  Title:

ColoredFont

lanesant wrote:

Have you found a replacement for frys?

Ray[..]

Ray, since cancelling Fry's I've been using VTISP for the past wk @ $3.95 a month. ($3.33 if pd for the yr with prorated refunds possible on the yearly plan) But their 150 hr limit may not be suitable for you. Not absolutely certain it will be for me. I have gone over 200 before but usually 4 to 5 hrs is my max daily usage and I do have PghConnect's free plan to fall back on.

VTISP does say customers can always sign up for a 2nd acct if more hrs are needed in certain mos and I suppose then cancel in mos not needed. Connections with them have been good thus far. And only once have I had to make a 2nd attempt. I've gone as long as 45 min composing a long email and I'm a slow typist Smile which has been considered idling by others. But without being timed out yet. Other FL posters have reported no less than a 30 min idle timeout at least as long as you visit some sites when you 1st connect. Though it's only been a week and I've had short 10 min idle timeouts begin with both Dialup.cc and Fry's after being a customer for several mos.

VTISP CS for actual customers seems to be pretty decent from my experience thus far. I previously tried them very briefly once for just one day and even though their policy says no refunds for the monthly plan, they did give me one. Then I was billed the following month but they promptly responded to an email the same day and refunded my card. Emails however before being a customer have gone unanswered. They also have an online usage monitor that kicks in at 50 hrs supposedly.

There is billing support online or by phone. Tech support however is not available by phone.

Another one I've used and liked is TotalUSA.net for 300 hrs @ $7.99/mo when pd 3 mos at a time. My plan is go back to them if VTISP doesn't work out for me.

A lot of folks here are fans of Dialup.cc but I personally experienced email CS problems with them along with the aforementioned idle timeout. I won't bore the others right now however with any further comments about them here. As I'm sure OG1 and others will be thankful for. Big Grin

Good luck to you as I hope you find a suitable and better replacement for Fry's.
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 13:10 pm
Post  Title:

lanesant

I had used frys.com for nearly 5 yrs. It always connected real good
and worked fine until around Aug 7th and then I couldnt connect. So
I called em and they told me they had recieved a large amount of
calls due to this same problem. They had changed how we logged in
and I was able to connect again until the following day. And then it
got to where I could connect at all. So I called again and got someone
else with a really bad attitude. So I have cancled them. And now I
am out here searching for a new one.

Frys didnt have a usage limit whereas a lot of these out here are
terrible with that as the new thing. Has anyone used either KBAnet.com
or FTHomeTech.com ???

Have you found a replacement for frys?

Ray

ColoredFont wrote:
An update after 4 mos of use...

I am now timed out after just 10 min. Connection isn't as good. And their billing dept seems not to have it together. I was not billed the 1st time for 2 1/2 mos when I was supposed to have had just 1 free mo. And then billing dates are totally unpredictable. They might bill just about any day of the mo it seems. No rhyme or reason whatsoever.
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:38 am
Post  Title:

ColoredFont

An update after 4 mos of use...

I am now timed out after just 10 min. Connection isn't as good. And their billing dept seems not to have it together. I was not billed the 1st time for 2 1/2 mos when I was supposed to have had just 1 free mo. And then billing dates are totally unpredictable. They might bill just about any day of the mo it seems. No rhyme or reason whatsoever.
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 15:15 pm
Post  Title:

ColoredFont

Fry's has a month free trial. Sign-up was a breeze. In a month, connections were made in the first attempt except once, and for my lines @ speeds no worse than the other 10 or more dialup services I've used over the past few yrs.

Not timed out as I was with Dialup.cc even though they apparently use the same network. With the latter I had begun to be timed out after a mere 10 min. At $5.99 that alone would be worth the extra buck to me compared to Dialup.cc.

And LOL even though I don't depend on an isp for primary email, Fry's does have colored fonts and even smiley faces! Big Grin In checking just occasionally though, I noticed their email is down some.

Fry's also has an acct mgmt section where you can update your acct and even monitor usage.

The con I've found is my comp started to run erratically after starting with Fry's when teamed with IE 7. This was not the case with my previous isp, Total USA.

I like Fry's price for unlimited without the time outs and the acct mgmt feature. Don't particularly like the erratic behavior with IE 7 that I've experienced when using Fry's. And though I have no personal experience with CS yet, it doesn't necessarily sound great based on some other posters.

One other potential negative for anyone without unlimited phone service, is no toll free number for support.
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:32 am
Post  Title: Love it

segrin

I've used frys.com for a few weeks now. I have searched and searched for an isp i could deal with for ages and had lousy luck with all of them until now. Every dial-up isp i've used for the past few years (and I've used a lot) has had connection timers that usually cut me off after 4 or 5 hours. I live in the boonies and have crappy old phone lines and no broadband options (even wireless doesn't work here). I hadn't been able to do Windows updates because I always got disconnected before the downloads would finish. Outside of allowing me to stay online, I don't require much from an isp.

I haven't tried dialup.cc because frys was the first one that looked promising. It's no-frills and I have no complaints. Actually I'm really happy. I don't care about e-mail or blocked e-mail ports because the e-mail has been so lousy with every other isp I've used that I just got a gmail account and gave up on isp e-mail altogether. Gmail works great. With frys I've been able to stay connected for several days straight, and downloads are never a problem since the connection never stalls (another dial-up isp problem I've had). The speeds are typical of any dial-up. Frys is also less than half the price of my previous isp (which was worthless).

Frys is worth a try if you just want a connection that never quits and don't care about the rest. Their website leaves a lot to be desired, and they supposedly have 24-7 support that no one seems happy with, but so far I've had no support issues so I haven't had to worry about it. I'm sold and plan to stick with them until I finally move and can get broadband (or if I do end up with a support issue and find them lacking). I'm sure dialup.cc and some others are great from what I've been reading, but for now I've got what I need.
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:08 pm
Post  Title: Re: customer service

prettyboy

OG1, I whole heartedly agree that dialup.cc is much better. I am a customer of dialup.cc and have been since they began. I only tried fry's because of the free 3 months with the accelerator. I will be canceling before the 3 free months is up.
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 13:59 pm
Post  Title: Re: customer service

OG1

Since  www.dialup.cc  uses the same backbone provider as Fry,s is one dollar cheaper and does NOT block smtp Port 25,  www.dialup.cc  is the better deal because dialup.cc offers more than Frys using the SAME network.
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 16:05 pm
Post  Title: customer service

prettyboy

The customer service at Fry's stinks big time. I have sent in three emails for support and not one was answered, called for phone support and was told they would call me back, that did not happen either so if you expect support from this ISP, forget it. As far as being online, it has been just fine with no disconnects. The accelerator is slipstream 5. This ISP is really for experienced users only. They also block port 25.
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 19:15 pm
Post  Title:

rgm714
๑۞๑
been using Fry's Electronics ISP for 7 days
have no problem with it so far.

only $9.88 a month
and 3 months free service
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 19:09 pm
Post  Title: http://www.frys.com

purplecap_05
This post has been moved by the moderator of this forum
It can be found at: New Location
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:43 am
Post  Title: fry's isp

been on fry's isp for just about 1 month.
so far, no problems. connection just as fast as any other dial-up
ISP in my area (50.6k)
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next