home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
Linux Manual For starters.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doofus125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 18:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought, but I just have to much stuff hooked up to my systems to mess with trying to find drivers to work with them all....I have 4 printers, 3 scanners, 5 external hard drives, 3 external cd burners, and 3 external zip drives, but none of them are "external drives" they are all in drive enclosure kits.......I'm more in to the messing with hardware than messing with software, I try to see how much stuff I can attach to my system and run at the same time, hehehehe....or see how far I can upgrade.....As for linex, it just wouldn't be feasable for me to even attempt to use.....maybe someday if it were more mainstream and had better support for hardware I would think about it, but there is just to much stuff that it doesn't support....I have a friend who switches back and forth from linex to windows when he wants to use his external drive and when he wants to use his scanner and I just find that to be a hassle when I turn my system on in the morning and I never reboot, I just let the screen saver kick in or put it into hibernation (mainly on my 95/2k systems), my new xp's start up pretty quick, but I just leave them on all day......But as for having all this spare time, I don't even get dressed until around noontime and then I go to bed by 11, lol.....I'm getting pretty bored not working, it's been 10 months so I think I'm going to go find a job even though I don't need one so I have something to do, lol.....watching re-runs of ER and sitting on 6 web forums at once all day long is just getting boring, plus I've become depressed again from being so isolated.....it stinks being single and the only friend you have lives 600 miles away.....oh boy, I'm starting to ramble, sorry.....bye
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 20:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doofus125 wrote:
Thanks for the thought, but I just have to much stuff hooked up to my systems to mess with trying to find drivers to work with them all......I have a friend who switches back and forth from linex to windows when he wants to use his external drive and when he wants to use his scanner and I just find that to be a hassle when I turn my system on in the morning and I never reboot,

When you have a lot of stuff hooked up I am not sure if Linux can be a problem. For most major versions compatibility patches etc., seem to be made available pretty fast as there are several users.

However, what I was talking was more along the lines of having an old PC alone with just Linux just to get familiar with it, just for fun that is all.

doofus125 wrote:
...I'm getting pretty bored not working, it's been 10 months so I think I'm going to go find a job even though I don't need one so I have something to do, lol.....watching re-runs of ER and sitting on 6 web forums at once all day long is just getting boring, plus I've become depressed again from being so isolated.....it stinks being single and the only friend you have lives 600 miles away.....oh boy, I'm starting to ramble, sorry.....bye

If I didn't start having system problems, I would have just posted a picture of a fish or two every few days in the general forum here and moved on. At one point of time I was posting a lot here, but they were all logical and helped me learn. Now my posts here daily have greatly reduced. With more linux familiarity and lesser information to share, I feel I will be posting lesser and lesser here. However, I will participate in the general forum more.

Nobody is born with friends. There are future friends all around us. I have to admit though that several people I knew have moved far away. Interms of being infront of the PC and going to several forums, I agree is a bit too much. A better alternative is to learn about a subject of interest. Here my choice is nature, plants, fish and birds. My biggest blessing is my friendship with living beings other than humans. This has given me rich dividends interms of emotional happiness. Perhaps this is something to consider.

By the way, you are welcome to ramble here. As long as discussions are friendly and polite freedomlist is very open and all members are very understanding and friendly. Smile

Vijay

Corrine

Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 20:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R Vijay wrote:
By the way, you are welcome to ramble here. As long as discussions are friendly and polite freedomlist is very open and all members are very understanding and friendly.
Yes, we're all that, to a degree. We do have our limits though. Big Grin

Take a walk through my Security Garden
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 20:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrine wrote:
Yes, we're all that, to a degree. We do have our limits though. Big Grin

True, agreed. Everything has its limits. But from the posts here it appears that most FL members seem to know and stay far away from this limit. Smile

Vijay

doofus125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 21:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:sad: I'm leaving, bye
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 21:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doofus125 wrote:
:sad: I'm leaving, bye

Hey, why are you leaving ? I don't think I said anything wrong. I was just sharing my experience/feelings. That is all.

By the way, what you said about drivers and Linux is true. For a simple program there are dependencies that are needed. If not available they become a big issue.

Vijay

doofus125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 21:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doofus has sent R Vijay a PM......
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 20:52 pm    Post subject: Here is the hardest part of the spectrum. Reply with quote

Better to avoid stuff like this, Gentoo and Slackware for beginners:
 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org 

This is for the very advanced users.

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 20:57 pm    Post subject: Treasure Trove of Small OSs !!! Reply with quote

http://home.wanadoo.nl/peterdekoning/20/about.htm 

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 21:59 pm    Post subject: Simple and easy choices. Great Free OSs for older PCs !! Reply with quote

Great Free OS for older PCs !! Simple and easy choices.

Basic Linux (2 Floppies, Good Distro for an old 486)
 http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/ 

Grey Cat Linux (12 Megs)
 http://www.angelfire.com/anime/db/gcl/ 

Vector Linux 3.2 (340 Megs)
vectorlinux.com

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Info. on FluxBox Reply with quote

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/fluxbox.html 

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: GNU & Open Source Sites. Reply with quote

www.gnu.org 
opensource.org

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 21:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great site with basic Linux Commands.
 http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/50.htm#linuxtips 

Great Linux Backup
GPL'd Linux tool which works quite well for full system backups named Mkcdrec. It can be located at:

http://mkcdrec.ota.be/ 

Program output is in the form of one or more .iso image files for burning to CDR or CDRW. The first .iso image file is bootable, so if the worst happens, you can boot from the restore CD. You will be greeted with a set of simple options on the first display, so you do not have to remember how to use the recovery CD.

Mkcdrec is a command line tool which uses the auspices of the Linux make utility, so to use it, you execute commands from the Mkcdrec directory. make test will check that all required software is installed on your system, and list what is and is not. The make command with no arguments will display a numbered menu listing available options.

A guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 0:20 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Looking over some of your old messages it appears that you indicated FreeBSD is a type of Linux. You may already know this but for others who may be following along, FreeBSD as all BSD's (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.) are not versions of Linux. Although they can run various Linux programs, they are closer to Unix than anything. Linux is based on Unix. It is the common Unix background in which Linux and *BSD are related.

Of Linux distributions, Slackware is probably the closest to *BSD. Since VectorLinux is based on Slackware, it too is close but not quite. Both RedHat and Mandrake use different startup scripts. Neither are similar to *BSD in this aspect.

Aloha
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Glad that people still read this thread. When, I startedout I didn't know this difference.

Vijay

R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 20:02 pm    Post subject: Red Hat Slow Speed Drawback. Reply with quote

Here is a crosspost. Some Distros of Linux still have Drawbacks. This however is not a general universal trend. However, very sad that such a major distro should have a major drawback. It is very important to discuss Linux Problems specifically in detail and find solutions for overall benefit. No system is perfect.

Vijay

Subject: Uncripple RH9 (How to)
Newsgroup: alt.linux.redhat

Anybody ever wonder why Open Office takes forever to load on RH9?

In my ever continuing Linux learning process, I have been trying to find
out why some disk processes under RedHat 9 are so SLOW. Some like Open
Office and Kylix have rediculous load times for what is being loaded. I
finally discovered that RH9 was not using DMA, which I thought was
really strange.

Anyway, to cut this short, lots of searching among obscure Linux papers
for quite a while led me to the file /etc/sysconfig/harddisks. It turns
out that the good folks at Red Hat have turned off every speed
enhancement available on modern drives. Like DMA, multiple sector
reads, and lookahead. I am sure that this was done so to have a better
chance of working on different age machines but they could have at least
noted it somewhere so that users could turn it on.

Anyway, after experimenting the key items are

USE_DMA=1
MULTIPLE_IO=16
LOOKAHEAD=1

Turning these on made an unbelievable difference in load times. Kylix
used to take almost a minute to load on a 2.5ghz P4. Time shrunk to
about 14 seconds.

I believe these settings are safe on fairly new hardware but when I
tried an older P2 machine, the Multiple IO blew away the filesystem. In
defense of RH, the file comments do say that you might have problems on
older machines. Fortunately, it was just an old cast off network test
machine.

Anyway, I suggest that you do your backups before trying the above,
especially if you are running on some older hardware.

There are some bus enhancement flags available that are also unused in
the file, but I haven't been able to tell that they do much. I would be
interested if someone has success with them.

KRF

blsJason

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Installation and Getting Started Reply with quote

Thank you Vijay for bumping up this thread. Great stuff. Thumb Up
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Installation and Getting Started Reply with quote

blsJason wrote:
Thank you Vijay for bumping up this thread. Great stuff. Thumb Up

You are very welcome. Glad you find it useful. Grin

Vijay

Je Me Souviens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 16:29 pm    Post subject: Logiciel d'explotation libre de schèma Reply with quote

Le Schèma libre vient d'une coquelle d'Unix. Il est différent que Linux.
R Vijay

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 22:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting under this thread after 4 Months nearly !!! Didn't expect to post here again almost.

However, here is what happened. I bought a used PC Compaq Presario 2256 for $92 Canadian. Tried a few linux Distros on it.

Damn Small Linux is really good for its size. Loaded easily no problems due to chip etc., like I had before. Only problem with going online. I am sure their forum will help me.

Also, tried Peanut Linux. For this PC with 48M Ram, Peanut is real slow to load and functions so very slow it is unbelievable !!!! Moreover, whenever forums etc., cameup, the keyboard didn't work or atleast what I typed didn't register. It is well known that KDE demands a lot of resources. So, I have to accept that I have a small PC.

Vijay

Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Help, Tips & Tricks -> Linux   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next