home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
Free Popup stoppers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 22:24 pm    Post subject: Free Popup stoppers Reply with quote

Well I was in test mode.
I was testing Free popup stoppers
I tested
Popup Manager
Pop-up Stoper Free
Pop this
The winner for me is Pop this. You do not know It is doing anything the popups are just gone.  http://www.mathies.com/popthis/  I am think of senting mathies a donation.
Popup Manager made my computer flash even when no popups.
Pop-up stoper free was hard to use.
The bottom two the popup was visible for a shot time.
With (Pop this) they were not.
The only trouble with it is if You want to pick which popup you want to see. You don't know they were there.
pete

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Free Popup stoppers Reply with quote

Lost wrote:
....The only trouble with it is if You want to pick which popup you want to see. You don't know they were there.
"POW!" by AnalogX. Will let you choose which pop-ups you want to kill. That way things like Private Message alerts on forums are still functional.

The downside, of course, is that you see each pop-up at least once, and have to take action to ban it.

A "bug" is that if you ban a pop-up with a lot of leading asterics in the title, they tend to act as "wildcards" and regular web pages are also blocked.

Freeware at  http://www.analogx.com 
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use IE alone (without the MyIE2 front end), I use Bayden PopUp Popper, which works very well for me. As a matter of fact, I really wish I could use Bayden PopUp Popper in MyIE2, instead of MyIE2's built in popup stopper!
realgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 13:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boz wrote:
When I use IE alone (without the MyIE2 front end), I use Bayden PopUp Popper, which works very well for me. As a matter of fact, I really wish I could use Bayden PopUp Popper in MyIE2, instead of MyIE2's built in popup stopper!
Do you know if the Bayden PUP will work with Crazy Browser? I started to try it a while back, but at WebAttack the description page says it "Requires Delphi Runtimes" download which I know nothing about. Did you install it first?
Boz

Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 14:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realgeorge wrote:
Boz wrote:
Do you know if the Bayden PUP will work with Crazy Browser? I started to try it a while back, but at WebAttack the description page says it "Requires Delphi Runtimes" download which I know nothing about. Did you install it first?
PopUp Popper does NOT appear to work in CrazyBrowser, either, just like MyIE2. I don't know why. I did download the Delphi Runtimes. I don't know what they do.
bruce bailey

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 16:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use any stoppers. I use a mouse that has programmable buttons and have one set to CLOSE WINDOW. When anything appears that I don't want, I just click the thumb button and it is gone. No program to load.
Mr. Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 21:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost, try EMS FreeSurfer II
 http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/Download.htm 

I know it's a lot larger than all the other pop-up stoppers, but it rules.

I have it set to make a sound whever it kills a pop-up (and I never even see the pop-up at all - I just hear the sound) and it keeps a list of all the pop-up's it stopped, and you can press a button to open them to see what they were.
Lost

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 23:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Reaper wrote:
Lost, try EMS FreeSurfer II

I know it's a lot larger than all the other pop-up stoppers, but it rules.

I have it set to make a sound whever it kills a pop-up (and I never even see the pop-up at all - I just hear the sound) and it keeps a list of all the pop-up's it stopped, and you can press a button to open them to see what they were.

I may try FreeSurfer on the new computer. Space is a little tight on my old one. Some people I know would like that list. Can you exclude sites. With Pop This I have exclude Freedomlist. So I will get Pop-ups there.

I try (FreeSurfer 2) I works as well as (Pop This) ,but is bigger and has more bells and whistles, Which will take me time to check out.
After time using(pop this) It did ok but I had a friend try it and he had trouble with it. After getting in to the bells and whistles in(FreeSurfer2) I found I like it better. I may have my friend try It. Get back to you.

Last edited by Lost on Sat Aug 16, 2003 23:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Reaper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 0:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can specify certain sites that you want to allow pop-up's from.
realgeorge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: POPUPS Reply with quote

I have tested a lot popup stoppers, but I now use the 698kb Crazy Browser which has an excellent popup blocker plus tabbed browsing. It can be gotten at WebAttack which says: "Crazy Browser is a powerful Web browser that provides many features that make surfing the web more comfortable and less confusing. Web pages are organized on tabs to prevent your screen from getting cluttered. it has full support for P3P privacy notifications (requires IE6) and JavaScript error suppression. In addition, Crazy Browser can handle multiple monitors and has tab status indicators. Annoying ad windows can be removed automatically and multiple pages can be saved and reopened together. The browser also includes many preconfigured search engines to help you find things on the web and you can extend it to use your own search engines. Crazy Browser looks very much like IE, in fact, it uses the IE browser engine to render web pages and also incorporates other settings."  http://www.webattack.com/freeware/misctools/fwbrowser.shtml 
Mr. Reaper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 19:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After testing some other pop-up stoppers I saw at  http://www.popuptest.com/  I have found another one that I want to reccomend as really nice.

It's still not as full-featured as EMS FreeSurfer II, and has very limited configuration, but it's TINY (only 67k!) and it does work quite well, from what I've seen so far. It is probably more desirable if you have limited hard drive space, or limited system resources (FreeSurfer does use a lot more memory, by comparison)

This one is called PopOops:
 http://www.gasanov.net/PopOops.htm 

The instructions for it are kind of unclear in some parts (I think English is not the first language of the programmer) but for the most part, it's very intuitive to use... It has the nice convienient features, like:

- Hold CTRL or SHIFT to bypass preventing a pop-up
- Single-click the tray icon to disable/enable it
- Play a sound when a pop-up is prevented (you never see the window at all)
- Windows XP can also display a little tooltip by the tray when a pop-up is prevented

It has a pretty unclear option called "Click Tune" which can be set to Off, Short, or Long. What it does, is detect your mouse clicks, so that if a link opens a new window when you click it (meaning you WANT to open the new window, and it's probably not an advertisement) it will allow that window to open.... Setting "Click Tune" to Off means it will close ALL new windows, setting it to Short ... kind of lets it open SOME windows after clicking a link... but I set mine to Long (so that it doesn't interfere with my normal browsing much) so it's more leaniant about allowing new windows to open after I click something... This can sometimes allow a pop-up to sneak by, if it opens quickly after a page first loads.... but it lets me open most links that I want to.

Also, it adds a context menu item to the right-click for a link in IE to make sure you can open the link in a new window, even if you have "Click Tune" Off.

The sound it plays when it prevents a pop-up is kind of annoying (to me) and it would be better if it allowed you to select your own sound file....
And it would be really nice if it kept a list of what windows it closed, like FreeSurfer does, but other than that, I like this one because it's so small and easy to use.
Sp-eye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed Pop This and it works fine not allowing popups to appear, but my problem is that I cannot access to the PopThis Options. When I click on PopThis! Options... on the Tools menu of my browser nothing happens; the options box simply does not appear and therefore I cannot change the options. What's the problem? Can anybody help me?

I use Windows 98 and IE6.

Thanks.
tad12

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 14:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a pretty good one called Popup Block. Not free but seems to block most everything. Did much better than any other at  www.popuptest.com 

Cost is $14.95 with a free trial

http://www.webattack.com/get/popupblock.shtml 
Lost

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 22:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my update on free Pop stopper.
The best I feel is: EMS FreeSurfer II
It is the biggest, but seem to work better with links
Then: Pop This
 http://www.mathies.com/popthis/ 
Pop blocker pro
 http://download.com.com/3000-7786-10239186.html 
the Pop blocker has no bells and whistles,But is small and works with links
and last: Pop-Oops:
This one is small, but does not work with links well
I found Pop stopper lists to be useless the pop-up names keep changing
I there are a lot of free pop stopper out there I could not try them all.
So if you find a good one list it here. I will take a look at it.
I also found other ad stopper, but they were to restricting
I am using Pop-Oops at this time it is small and the sound it makes,
Sound like a small sneeze.

Last edited by Lost on Sat Nov 15, 2003 23:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 14:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been using PopOops all the time now.

Lost, if you haven't: try setting CLICK TUNE to LONG for PopOops. That will make it more leniant on letting windows open when you click links. Although sometimes it still does kill links you click on, you can just hold CTRL and click the link again in that case.

I have gotten used to the sound PopOops makes when it kills a popup... I used to think it was annoying... but not so much now. Also, the author may be making it so you can select your own sound in the next release.
tad12

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 17:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried PopOops and liked it but it missed several tests on  www.popuptest.com  FreeSurfer seemed to do a better job.

But neither was able to handle the Drop down Popup which I
really hate. So I decided to buy the only one I have found that
does work pretty good.  www.popupblock.net  and only $14.95.

First time I ever bought a popup blocker. Hope it's the last.
Shiny
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 20:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Pop-up Stopper (www.panicware.com) for years and never had a problem. Works great.
Mr. Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 21:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, if you are using the freeware version of Panicware popup stopper, you really should try PopOops. It's *better*. It doesn't nag you to try to get you to upgrade to a paid version, and other than that, it works just as well, and is a LOT smaller.... only 67k as compared to Panicware's near 500k. A lot of that size is probably due to their huge graphical nag screen, heh. Panicware's popup stopper used to be better, but they have crippled it even more in newer versions, to try even harder to annoy you into upgrading to a paid version....

orillia3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 23:21 pm    Post subject: Intellistopper Reply with quote

I tried Intellistopper and had to uninstall it after using it for about a week. Too many error messages, and I was not happy with the way it works.
Bowlerdude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Proxomitron, it not only stops pop-ups it also removes ads from web pages and a whole lot more! Not only does Proxomitron do all of that, it's FREE!!! The only thing wrong with it is, it takes a little while to learn how to use all of the different things it does. I have tried several different pop-up blockers over the years [paid and free] and Proxomitron is by far the best!
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> PC Protection -> Apps   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next