home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
28 states already haveCatholic institutions provide insuranc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:31 pm    Post subject: 28 states already haveCatholic institutions provide insuranc Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012...laced.html 

Mitt Romney has been railing again the Obama administrationís refusal to exempt Catholic-affiliated institutions like hospitals and universities from its mandate that health insurance cover contraception. ďSuch rules donít belong in the America that I believe in,Ē he writes in a Washington Examiner op-ed. Perhaps no one told him that such rules were in place in Massachusetts the entire time he was governor, because as far as Iíve been able to tell, he never raised a word of objection then.
Deborah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 20:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a politician shock

I didn't think contraception has been much of an issue since the pill. With all the misery, fear, war, unemployment, poverty, fat kids, income inequality, Europe in decline, the rise of China, an exploding middle east, etc, why birth control? What's it going to be next, restoring slavery or, the Whig Party?
kelticwizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 23:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is driven less by moral principles than by voter demographics. In 2008 54% of Catholic voters went for Obama. Romney would obviously like to revise that percentage downward, so here we go.
Deborah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Catholics use birth control as do most Americans. This is very stupid. I really think they could have thought of something different to get people worked up. Maybe child abuse? But, if they got a little intelligent about it, they couldn't blame Obama. After all, he's guilty of the monsoons in Asia. shock Razz
kelticwizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb:

I think the idea is that while most Catholics make up their own mind on reproductive issues, even those who differ with their church on birth control and choice might be offended if they perceive their church as being attacked or bullied by the government.

Whether this strategy will be effective is open to question. There were all sorts of bishops coming forward the last election saying you can't vote for Obama because he is pro-choice and it didn't work. This whole issue is about the health insurance being offered covering the cost of birth control pills and it's hard to see people running to the barricades over it. After all, not everyone who works at a Catholic hospital or a Catholic college is Catholic. But I guess they're going to try. Big Grin
Deborah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know. But, it's a manufactured issue. It feeds right into the anti woman rhetoric that seems to be part of this conversation. Birth control as "evil" in itself has been taken up by Santorum, etc. Personhood amendments have been fortunately voted down, however they've been part of the scene. Planned Parenthood has become a political football. Kolman has been infiltrated by right wing politics. And, of course Obama is "anti religion." Need I say more!

What is this?
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General   All times are GMT - 5 Hours