home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
Changing default video player in Internet Explorer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orillia3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Changing default video player in Internet Explorer Reply with quote

I believe I have Windows Media Player as the default player in Internet Explorer. Is there a way of changing the default player to VLC player? I am sure it is as simple as finding the right settings but I cannot find anything.
willys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orillia3, Try setting "Folder Options" then "File Types" then start IE and give it a try - I do not think it's a setting in IE, it's your Windows default player for that file type.
plodr

Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 13:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First find out where VLC.exe is located and copy down the entire path. The easiest way is to search, put VLC.exe in the box and you'll get something like C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC
Next, open Windows Explorer, then click on Tools/Folder Options and the File Types tab as willys said.
As an example, one of my file types is AVI (a video clip) and the icon with it shows that it will open with WMP. To change that file type, click on AVI and below where it says "open with" windows media player, click on Change. Another box comes up and it lists some programs. If VLC is in the list, just click on it. If it is not on the list, then you'll have to click the other button and type the path you wrote down into the box.
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Help, Tips & Tricks   All times are GMT - 5 Hours