home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
How To Steal Wi-Fi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Broadband
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 0:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that you know you can steal it and how to Devilish
get the right tools :
 http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_pag...mp;id=2478 
digger

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 0:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cute device there. If it could function as a flash-drive and MP3 player they might have a winner. Make it stream music off the network too.

To improve your chances of finding a good signal, you need a suitable antenna:
 http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html 

And yes, the person who runs the acess point could in theory monitor all your traffic, but then so can anyone else if the network is insecure. That's why your bank uses HTTPS on their website. There are also options for secure email, (ssl or tls for pop3/imap/smtp and https again for webmail)
wary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop WIFI freeloaders - for free!

www.mywifizone.com 
digger

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 23:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wary wrote:
Stop WIFI freeloaders - for free!

www.mywifizone.com 

From the site:
Quote:
How does myWIFIzone know who is authorized and who isn't?

myWIFIzone looks in a "whitelist" which you create and edit as required. Select any one of four authentication methods - IP, MAC, Both or None. You can add a computer to the whitelist with just one click!

IP and MAC filtering are not reliable ways to control access to a wireless network. Sounds like pretty lame software to me (assuming that that page is legitimate to begin with, which is somrthing I don't feel like figuring out right now).
None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 15:35 pm    Post subject: been stealing myself Reply with quote

OK…I’ll admit it. I’ve been borrowing my neighbor’s internet access without his permission. I’m in a undisclosed Central American country and stealing WiFi is no fellony here. Cable internet access is horribly high ($52 per month). I hid a wireless expander (Linksys WRE54G paired to his BEFW11S4) inside a lamp outside my house and pulling in as much as 400 kbits (not that I am, but I could).

http://img473.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim00738sj.jpg 

Didn’t know it was such as big deal until I started to read the opinions of other people. Don’t know if I would stop doing it as to my best knowledge I’m not hurting anyone.
rojo203

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 13:37 pm    Post subject: secirity for my computer Reply with quote

what do I have to do in order to get security on my unit? This is a new
computer and I have Verizon DSL.

Thank you

email address removed
bruce bailey

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 17:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download something. I use AVG for anti-virus and Zone Alarm for a firewall.
digger

๑۞๑

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 0:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce bailey wrote:
Just download something. I use AVG for anti-virus and Zone Alarm for a firewall.
No, no, that won't provide any protection to the wireless router. You need to lock it down with WPA encryption. Read your manuals. It has been pretty simple the few times I have set it up for friends. Basically you have a "passphrase" that is used to encrypt the traffic. You type it into the router's configuration page and you type it into the configuration for your wireless card. Do it right and it will be pretty much impossible for anyone to access the internet using your router unless they know the passphrase.
Joe254

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are at the configuration page for the router turn off the option to broadcast your SSID as an added security measure.
Dan39

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 21:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my PSP i went around my small neiborhood of like 5 streets, all hardly a mile in length combined, and found like at least 5 open wifi connections on each street...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 0:45 am    Post subject: Software Allows Neighbors To Improve Internet Access At No E Reply with quote

Computer scientists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have developed software that enables the sharing of high-speed wireless connections without compromising security or privacy. The software can improve Internet connectivity in residential areas at no additional cost.

“Significantly improved speed and the ‘always on’ feature of wireless routers have been driving the rapid spread of broadband Internet access in many residential areas,” said Haiyun Luo, a professor of computer science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “More than 56 percent of homes in the United States already have Internet access, and more than half of those homes are using Wi-Fi wireless home networks.”

A typical residential user accesses his broadband home connection about 12 to 15 hours per week, Luo said. “So, while the Internet connection is always on, most of the time it sits idle.” Luo would like to see that idleness put to good use by benefiting other users, and he and graduate student Nathanael Thompson came up with a way to do it.

Luo and Thompson have developed a software framework called PERM (Practical End-host collaborative Residential Multihoming) that allows neighbors to pool their Internet access and thereby improve both performance and resilience.

“PERM exploits the diversity of broadband Internet access in residential areas to improve connectivity in a managed way,” Luo said. “Our design requires no support outside the user’s wireless router, and is immediately deployable.”

By pooling all available Internet connections, neighbors can enhance their Internet connectivity at no additional cost. That is, if neighbors are willing to share.

“PERM represents a paradigm shift in the Internet user community,” Luo said. “Until now, most users have been unwilling to share their wireless connections for fear of losing security and privacy. We offer a solution that ensures mutual benefit, security and privacy.”

The sharing of Internet connections is open only to registered users who, in exchange for using connections belonging to others, must offer the use of their own. This “peer-to-peer” sharing concept has enormous potential, with millions of possible nodes, Luo said.

Within PERM, flow-scheduling algorithms select the best connection from those available. In addition, higher performance is achieved by selecting and using multiple connections when appropriate. The software framework also provides a service scheduler, which gives the owner priority over his wireless router and reports any misuse by others.

But the scope of PERM is still limited: Neighbors can only benefit from sharing when they are around each other’s homes. The next step is to expand beyond neighborhoods and take collaborative Internet access on the road, literally.

“Wireless routers are necessarily location-based,” Luo said. “But the peer-to-peer sharing concept can just as easily be used between cars, or between homes and cars, as between homes. As more users join the system, the more powerful the system will become.”

Thompson will present the peer-to-peer Internet sharing concept and flow-scheduling algorithms at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers INFOCOM 2006 meeting in Barcelona, Spain, April 23-29.

The University of Illinois funded the work.

The 1 megabyte PERM file can be downloaded free of charge from the PERM project page(http://swing.cs.uiuc.edu/projects/perm/).
bta123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 22:26 pm    Post subject: wireless question Reply with quote

My city is going wireless, I am considering using it when it becomes available, currently on cheap dialup. I could use information about pros and cons and safety of wireless. I have a desktop pc, I guess I need a router, not real computer saavy but trying to learn. thanks in advance for all help.
OG1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 21:44 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless question Reply with quote

You need a PC! Wireless G Network card installed on your desktop to receive an "open" wireless signal

You must have a wired broadband connection to use a router to broadcast wireless signals.
flashback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 0:49 am    Post subject: Re: wireless question Reply with quote

bta123 wrote:
My city is going wireless, I am considering using it when it becomes available, currently on cheap dialup. I could use information about pros and cons and safety of wireless.

Using WiFi can be addictive,if your city decided to pull the plug you might end up like this guy
 http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi...w_br.shtml 
hopefully Freedomlist learned its lesson and will keep its nose clean or maybe this time will have to deal with those who carry a really big stick.

I would advice anyone doing what they call piggybacking or wardriving to search for informations on what your city laws regarding that. more than few now consider that a third-degree felony.
cat320exv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone leaves there point of access open for the rest of the world to use thats there fault.and as for now there is no law that says you cant use someone else network if they didnt set there securty.
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Broadband   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2