home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:08 pm
Post  Title: http://550access.com Notes about service 2009

laternser

I joined 550access July 17 2009 (it is now Nov 28 2009).

Positives:
1) Service has been very good. I do not use their dialer.
2) No additional software is required. I do not recommend
their high speed dialer.
3) I have downloaded files as large as 80mb without problem.
4) Connection speeds seem to be close to my modem's capability
5) I have not been dropped when I am actively on. Inactivity
does not produce a hangup for a VERY long period ... perhaps too
long.
6) Linux friendly (although this is written on a windows machine)
7) Service is limited (for $8.95 account) to 300 hours per month.
THIS IS A LOT. If you spend more than 10 hours per day on
dialup you are in a different catagory. I have not had to worry
about them.
8) Good privacy policy ... unlike services like netzero.com that
sell information about the sites you visit to outside companies.

Negatives:
1) This is a big one. According to 550access binary
attachments via smtp are blocked. I have been
unable to transfer ANY binary file larger than 100k from the dialup
computer to the internet using ANY method (smtp, gmail, yahoo mail
550access mail, ftp etc., ftp server setup on dialup machine and
accessed by remote shell account)

The result is that I cannot send binary pdf files via any mail service
(smtp.gmail.com etc)

Perhaps this is a problem with level3 communications ... which
seems to be providing the dialup connections here in Nebraska.

2) They have responded to my 'trouble ticket' reports ... but
the help provided did not answer my question about about
how binary files can be sent from the dial-up. Another 'trouble
ticket' is pending

3) Appears to be poor security for their email system. pop mail certificate
has expired by two years and identifies itself only as 'localhost' ...
triggering a warning from thunderbird.

Conclusion: Great service if you only want to browse and send
text e-mail. This is a big drawback.
Drat.

I would unreservedly recommend this service except for the binary
file upload blocking. Perhaps others do not have this problem.

If I manage to resolve this issue I will follow up the post.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 17:19 pm
Post  Title: Re: Poor Service

Frost

This post has been moved by the moderator of this forum
It can be found at:  http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32755  

Since this was not a review but rather information, it has been moved to the $10 and under ISP section.
A review is a listing of what works and doesn't work for the ISP you are using.
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm
Post  Title: Poor Service

cb4

Confused I consistently connect at 49.2 kbps. However a bandwidth test registers well below 24kbps every time I connect.

Also the website tells you the first month is 1 dollar. They charged me full price. When I called to inform them of the error, they asked me what day the overcharge was made. I told them I'd have to get back to them with that information. When I did call back (repeatedly) no one answered the phone. They are avoiding me. I know this because after I signed up for service over the phone, I called back 5 minutes later and no one answered. 15 minutes later I got a callback from the company.
Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 14:10 pm
Post  Title: changes access phone numbers without notify customers

Ntini

Hello,

There must me some problems with the access numbers. We don't change the access numbers directly unless the customer wants the new access number or if there is a problem with the old acess number and customer can't access to the Internet.

Access numbers are like user ID, and password. It's not advisable to change the number unless you have some problems.

Thanks
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 15:18 pm
Post  Title: changes access phone numbers without notify customers

rodgere1947

By changing access phone numbers without telling the customer the new one, must go to website using another ISP to update access numbers. Confused Confused
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 14:07 pm
Post  Title: These people are the pits. No coonectivity or customer serv.

crusader_magnus

I am fed up with this company, so much that we now call them 550abcess and are cancelling our account.

There are constant problems with poor connect speeds, hangups while connected, the error saying the account is invalid and not recognized in a domain, and generally not being able to log in for days at a time.

On top of all of this repeated calls and emails to customer service go unanswered.

This all in spite of their false claims of great customer service and calling you up to check why a login failed, which they have never done in over a year of service.

These people are internet hell and should be sued for false advertising and fraud.
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 pm
Post  Title: Re: 550access Customer Support & Updates

ravib

Alright, Sir/Madam, check the BBB report again. It states that I am not the owner. There are about over 3 phone numbers there and there are about 3 email address and all the names of the individuals listed there. When I first started replying to customers online; i was just a support rep working in the organization, now I have been promoted, but not to the ceo!!.. anyhow, as I said in previous emails; "550support @ 550access.com" without the spaces and without the quotes. You have our number to call 832-476-0532; you will not be asked to stay on hold for 20 - 30 minutes. We know you have better things to do then just seat there waiting for someone to answer you. We ask you simply to leave us your concern, comment and/or problem and then we call you back in the order that you left the message. Now you leave a message, only if the support reps are busy, if not, then you get a rep immediately.

NOTE: plodr removed a post quoted by this poster because it was from 2005. I suspect the person has moved on to another ISP. It is pointless to answer a post from Oct. 2005 in April 2007.
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 23:09 pm
Post  Title: 550 access

gc610588

things might have changed, since i had service with 550 access. it has been a couple years since i subscribed to them.

in short, i had major connection problems. after using all three access numbers, i e-mailedd customer support. (thru my back up isp)

i might be mistaken, but i think the c-support agent's name was tony.

after many attempts to fix the connection problem that wasn't a problem in the past, he told me to have a nice day!

i did have a nice day...i got a new isp!

g.c.
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 0:02 am
Post  Title: Re: happy with 550access

RaviB
Thats great to hear!.. i am smiling as I reply to this. I am glad to have you as our customer. Infact, Email me with your Daughters, yours and your mothers Username. Ill ask our managers to give you guys some free credits! for your loyalty. Please be sure to visit our corporate website,  www.vippowernet.com  you'll notice all of our services. Yes, we are International business. Smile I love working for VIP PowerNet, am glad to be part of it. Also, vippowernet.net we send money from your internet service charge to give it back to your churches, your organizations, your charities. Yes, yours... Check out the site and register your group, organization, charities, well send them money as long as you are our customer. Check it out scheme, its a Great fundrasier. Your paying for internet anyways, might as well save some money on tax as charity donations. : ) Now I am more proud to say I work for such a company!

Thank you for your comments! freedomlist rocks!

Ravi
550access Support!
550support @550access.com (no spaces)

P.S: I have been moving up the ladder! If you check my previous replies, I was a rep. Within the past year, Ill been moving up! UP! n UP!!.. Smile Thanks to all those who told my manager about my quality of support, glad I can help. Smile

plodr removed commas after links to sites so links would work
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 23:25 pm
Post  Title: happy with 550access

I signed up my mother for 550access as she is a very low volume user. I signed her up for 1 yr. She has been on it for almost 2 years. I had a problem signing in when I first signed her up, it kept telling me to try again later. An email to customer support from my email using my ISP resolved the matter. She has not had a problem logging in since. The only other problem she has had twice was she could log on, but not get into her email, using the same password. I used the online support both times & they got her back in quickly. Other than that no problems. I liked the service enough that I also prepaid 1 year for my daughter. She had no problems at all.
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:43 pm
Post  Title: Re: http://www.550access.com/

Hello Mr. Malaby,

Yes you are right, there is no contract for any of the monthly service. If you have cancelled the service, you would have a cancellation id, which is your assurance that your card will not be charged for that account. Now, keep mind, charges can continue, if you have another dial up account with 550access. If you have an cancelled account, please give me the cancellation id and well look into your account for you.

Also, there is no need to call support to cancel, you can cancel your account online, 550access.com -> scroll over members -> login.

I looked into your account and found that you were refunded for service that was charged for the month. (It was you requested cancellation, not cancelled the account yourself) So it was a courtesy refund which qualified in your case.

https://secure.secureserverinternet.net/550access/registration/termsandconditions.asp

550access is straight forward and honest. We live in the same world as you.

Ravi
550support @550access.com

P.S please mention this link so we are aware.

avoidavoidavoid wrote:
Even though I cancelled my service (and even though they claim there is no contract) my credit card continues to be billed. I have tried to follow up on this three times! No one answers the phones or follows up on trouble tickets!

Mark Malaby
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:49 am

Your the same person with a different username. Overly! expressed. You dont have to cancel your bank account or cancel your card for charges that are not proved by you. Simply talk to your agent and they will send a dispute letter, we acknowledge it and follow up on it. Its all legal. I dont think youve called anyone, just trying to make 550access look bad.

Ravi

DISMAYED wrote:
Heres another fine example of ISP hell . They kept charging me for MONTHS after i discontinued their service i had to threaten going to the Attorney Generals office and file a complaint before they would stop charging me after numerous emails with no response back , then i had to close my bank account to prevent their illegal access to it . BAD COMPANY AVOID IT AT ALL COST !
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am
Post  Title: Re: bad service!

Ravib
Hello,

I remember talking to you on the phone and we resolve the matter. I explained you everything about the account. Even talked with the BBB regrading your account. You were even refunded the complete year. Patiences, all in due time.

Have a Great day!
Ravi

fourroses wrote:
I have sent numerous emails and made numerous phone calls about this horrible service! In August, 2005 they told me I "had a credit card issue and my account was as good as cancelled" but somehow...mysteriously... in January, 2006, my credit card (that was no good) had a charge for $66.00, another year of BAD service. I don't think so.... I filed a dispute with my credit card company, filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office and the Better Business Bureau... Do you think I can get their attention now? Who knows!
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 am

I dont know if I got lucky or if this site prompted something - but this time I got a response. I will let you know if I am billed next month!

Mark Malaby
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 13:40 pm
Post  Title: http://www.550access.com/

avoidavoidavoid
Even though I cancelled my service (and even though they claim there is no contract) my credit card continues to be billed. I have tried to follow up on this three times! No one answers the phones or follows up on trouble tickets!

Mark Malaby
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:51 am

DISMAYED
Heres another fine example of ISP hell . They kept charging me for MONTHS after i discontinued their service i had to threaten going to the Attorney Generals office and file a complaint before they would stop charging me after numerous emails with no response back , then i had to close my bank account to prevent their illegal access to it . BAD COMPANY AVOID IT AT ALL COST !
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:47 am
Post  Title: bad service!

fourroses
I have sent numerous emails and made numerous phone calls about this horrible service! In August, 2005 they told me I "had a credit card issue and my account was as good as cancelled" but somehow...mysteriously... in January, 2006, my credit card (that was no good) had a charge for $66.00, another year of BAD service. I don't think so.... I filed a dispute with my credit card company, filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office and the Better Business Bureau... Do you think I can get their attention now? Who knows!
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 21:44 pm
Post  Title: Slip Stream?????

This post has been moved by the moderator of this forum
It can be found at: New Location
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 13:33 pm

charlie
I signed up for service eleven days ago & have yet to be able to log in. No-one ever answers the phone & i have been dropped off line from online support. The only response I have received was from e-mail which said "try again later today"
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 22:28 pm
Post  Title: Re: R n R.. Rest and Reading!.. hehe.. :)

wow.. 4 emails.. all within 7!! minutes.. i guess that has to be a record for a customer.. good job...

Yes I (Ravi) DO EXIST!, but i dont work 24/7 like a machine, my shift was not morning.

haha

All jokes aside, I did not resolve your matter, but another rep did. I came to find out there were emails for me just about half an hour ago, but notes on your account confirm that it was resolved. I found that you guys discussed the matter over the phone.

Here is my take on the issue:
You wanted to cancel the account on a specfic day, but we cancel on the same day only. So a rep cancelled your account, then you wanted to have it reactivated, so rep reactived it, and ofcourse, automatic systems would charge you again since you would have a new billing date. Then there were credits given. Now your complaing that your tickets were not replied to within 2 minutes, did you know average hold time for aol is about 15 - 20 minutes? I think that was pretty unreasonable. Anyhow, your account was cancelled, and apporiately prorated (refunded) as you wanted. I apologize for the fact that you had to bring it to public to resolve this matter, thou, little more patiences would of done the same.

Thank you for giving "US" a chance to resolve this.
Ravi.

Anyone else?

unregistered wrote:
O.K., I'll email you, but how many times do I have to email this company? I have four emails in to them already about the overcharges with no response. I doubt if I will get a response from you either.
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next