home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:09 am
Post  Title: Still (basically) working as of 2009.

Godot

Metconnect still works, generally speaking though speeds are slow, even by dial-up standards (I average about 44.0 kbps). Despite promise from the early days that metConnect would "never post banners or pop-up ads," they are now using a scheme whereby, after what appears to be a random amount of time (maybe after a certain amount of upload/download?) web surfing is automatically redirected back to a MetConnect ad page, and all other actions (mail send/receive, IM, etc) is halted until that page has loaded. Though it is a hassle, (especially if you don't remember the address you intended to get to) it still costs nothing and is quickly taken care of. MetConnect also has a bad habit of occasionally connecting while at the same time blocking actual Internet use. This appears to be an occasional problem with their servers, and usually is taken care of within a few days- but since nobody is actually maintaining the service anymore, it can be frustrating to be working and suddenly come up with 404 and POP errors.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 18:57 pm
Post  Title: metconnect's busy subsignal???

visible0

Good-day to all on 20061008su.
Have not been able to connect via met since 20061006fr eve.[using other connection for this linkup]
When i used the last resort hyperTerm i would get the busy/off the hook signal as the compu'r was in the middle of dialing.
Posing incase MET reads this, the problem also is happening to the 2 other METmembers in my building but could not contact other members to see if they had any problems.
sincerely
visible0...as to my longtime membership/login in question, my ol notes have a member name [visible0] for freedomlist since late 2000, and in early 2001 posted links to freedomlist at my about.com sites[before they went OOB-OutOfBusiness] i will try to find any caps of freedomlist of that time[hard as those hard drives conked out but will look at old CDs.
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 19:35 pm
Post  Title: Re: a q on metconnect connecting???...

gems16

I am having the same problem. I thought that it might be related to the power strain due to the heat wave. (I live in Maspeth, Queens.) I was able to connect occasionally during non-peak times. But now that the heat wave is over, I can't get through at all. I dial, it verifies my username and password, then it disconnects, showing error #718. I'm concerned about my phone bill, also. Is there any way to contact someone at MetConnect?

visible0 wrote:
...is anyone else having trouble connecting to the net after the recent[20060726-20060805] greyouts[blackouts]. my worry is since the calls go through but then disconnects some people in re-retrying even if at ~12cents a try it will accumulate in ones phone bill.
Also posting before i visit them to let them know now that at least 43 people in the east side of manhattan cannot connect over the past 2weeks.

PS-Q4 FREEDOMLIST: how long does ones user name stay valid , i ask as i being a long time member [joined ~sept2000]znd just relized i had to re sign up.
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 18:26 pm
Post  Title:

plodr
Administrator
visible0, I only see two members from 2000 the adminstrator's account and webmaster. All other accounts start in 2001; maybe he had to rebuild the database.
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:28 am
Post  Title: a q on metconnect connecting???...

visible0

...is anyone else having trouble connecting to the net after the recent[20060726-20060805] greyouts[blackouts]. my worry is since the calls go through but then disconnects some people in re-retrying even if at ~12cents a try it will accumulate in ones phone bill.
Also posting before i visit them to let them know now that at least 43 people in the east side of manhattan cannot connect over the past 2weeks.

PS-Q4 FREEDOMLIST: how long does ones user name stay valid , i ask as i being a long time member [joined ~sept2000]znd just relized i had to re sign up.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 22:30 pm
Post  Title:

wwwQueensbridgeUS

I dunno if clicking on Paypal link has anything to do with it.
I may have gotten it thru a link in a Yahoo Group.
But I got the TORPIG key-logger.

when u get a chance use search feature from
START menu to search for
"TORPIG"
and
"IBM00*"

If anything shows up you have the
TORPIG key-logging trojan that will collect things like bank account
numbers and log-on ID's and p/w's

Use
Spybot Search and Destroy
to isolate it

then you may either want to edit registry, [which can be dangerous]
or restore computer to prior date

You may wish to change
PayPal and Ebay passwords
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 15:57 pm
Post  Title: Re: Funny stuff at MetConnect

NYCuser
MetObserver wrote:
[..]
That's because no one has gone to their Wall St. office in person to tell them what's going on.

I may go in person with a check.
Main WWW URL is
 http://www.mettel.net/press.asp?show=&rec_id=100012 
Marshall Aronow - Chief Executive Officer
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:01 am
Post  Title: Funny stuff at MetConnect

MetObserver
unregistered wrote:
the paypal link feels too much like a phish. i can't believe this can be going on for so long and met-connect doesn't do anything about it.

That's because no one has gone to their Wall St. office in person to tell them what's going on. MetConnect is not a money-maker for Metropolitan Communications and they understandably don't want to invest manpower in customer service.

You might profit from reading the posts related to this on the Free ISP section of the Forum. You obviously have something of value to contribute as well.
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:55 am
Post  Title: Re: MetConnect hijack?

MetObserver
NYCuser wrote:
[..]

Maybe the [recent] webmaster has a thing going on for himself

...or someone with his access, which is my suspicion.

You might profit from reading the posts related to this on the Free ISP section of the Forum.
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 16:36 pm
Post  Title: MetConnect hijack?

NYCuser
unregistered wrote:
if you click on their paypal button to donate and enter your info it does not behave like a normal paypal transaction. the so called payment doesn't go to met-tel either, but to "MPCA" which i can not find any connection from mpca to met-connect, so another red flag that something is very wrong here.

Since the MPCA is not like a normal Email address that you would expect when sending money to a PayPal account, I seached the MetConnect site for a real Email address to send a PayPal paymeny/donation. I thought that i would start off with ten dollars.

I got this back in May:
"Two days ago you sent a payment to . This payment is still unclaimed. Often, unclaimed payments are a result of a payment being sent to a misspelled or otherwise incorrect email address. Please double-check to make sure you sent your payment to the intended recipient's correct email address."

Strange that MetConenct would not reply.

Maybe the [recent] webmaster has a thing going on for himself
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:14 am
Post  Title:

if you click on their paypal button to donate and enter your info it does not behave like a normal paypal transaction. the so called payment doesn't go to met-tel either, but to "MPCA" which i can not find any connection from mpca to met-connect, so another red flag that something is very wrong here.

it looks like i will be cancelling my credit card now altogether because the combination of the redirect plus the strange thing that happened when i tried to donate to the paypal link feels too much like a phish. i can't believe this can be going on for so long and met-connect doesn't do anything about it.
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 13:43 pm
Post  Title: The REdirect AD "pop in"...

visible0
good-day, first a pop in is different from a pop up [no not pop in fresh Pillsbury doe boy] but a page that takes over / REdirects the expected desired page to another in this case METCONNECT giving the public such good service now has the expected problem it is too popular for its own good so when that AD page pops in you will have a slower service till one clicks on any of the ADs in the pop in page. i know it seems intrusive but the other choices would be pay $$ or get lower and lower service till we have to go back to 28k service...as the optimum rate...on a good Wednesday 2am. So please click on the ADs or if you can donate...maybe we can get a few tv/movie stars to donate a few bucks to METCONNECT in return we get ADs for movies WITH A SURPRISE ~40% MOVIE TICKET for every randomly selected interneter that clicks on a pop in/up this way the public does not poopoo the pop ups off the bat IF A TRADEMARK logo pops up first THAT GUARANTEES THE POP UP IS AN OFFICIAL POP UP THAT CAN WIN A REAL PRIZE this way we get rid of the junk pop ups but the ADVERTISERs by using this TRADEMARKED LOGO get more business / busiMESS for their BUCK [i give FREEDOMLIST the rights to develop[e] this idea] Mr.X-NYC-smilee face Smile ,peace
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:46 am
Post  Title: metconnect no longer free

elmo
I am a lontime metconnect user who has noticed a radical change in the
service of late:

Namely, after being online for a short period of time, METCONNECT breaks off what I had been doing (like Yahoo mail) and asks for donations and shows its NEW ADS.

They are no longer a reliable ISP.
Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 am
Post  Title:

Sharkfly
This post has been moved by the moderator of this forum
It can be found at: New Location
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:34 am
Post  Title:

They have installed some kind of urchin.js tracker spyware on their homepage.
I have been unable to update any of my security patches because I am being redirected to their site before the download is complete and it drops the connection. After several tries of the same thing happening every time I give up. They also hijacked my Yahoo account more than once too, and would not let me complete my message or log out even after I clicked on the page. They just drop you completely.t just keeps coming back to the homepage and you can not continue whatever you were doing. Are they installing something into our email also?
All of a sudden their site is covered with ads and they are doing a lot of things they said always they wouldn't. Does anyone know if they are under new management? They don't answer any emails, and with all the changes going on, there seems no one available to explain or answer any questions.
Why would anyone want to consider subscribing to their pay service or supporting their advertisers after being constantly hijacked and worst of all, completely ignored by their management?
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:15 am
Post  Title: Press to Continue??

anonymusse
here I am having to use netzero. last nite after hitting "Continue", I got to watch the page trying to load for 20 minutes, w/no success. did this 2x, and got disgusted. even at my balzing 45.2k, somthing should have happened by at least 10 min., don't ya think?

Razz
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 21:06 pm
Post  Title: Concerned...

MCUser
They're advertising other services? All I ever got was the Continue button then redirected to their site...

To any extent, if you have a calling plan with your phone company go ahead and search for FreeDialup and NoCharge, I have them besides Juno for backup.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping very strongly that MetConnect doesn't go down or start with the pop-ups, ad ware and all that...
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 17:59 pm
Post  Title: Re: Metconnect problems

Sharkfly
unregistered wrote:
I am able to connect to the internet using Metconnect, but I cannot seem to browse. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

(IT HAPPENS)The best thing I would say to do is to hang up & try another access number other than the one your trying. That has happened to me in the past but not recently.

arrow (Opinion)
Be forewarned Freedom list users the fact the metconnect is advertising other ISP's IS NOT a GOOD Sign. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a copy of Netzero Or JUNo as stated in previous post, in case you might need it? question MetC does go down for days time to time.
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 22:19 pm
Post  Title: Surfing?

MCUser
I can connect fine to any of MetConnect's numbers, but I can't view any web pages. Before this it was as if all internet activity was locked until I went to view a page and clicked Continue to keep surfing the internet.

I really don't mind having to click the Continue button but when are the web pages gonna be accessible again?? This is a pain in the butt...

BTW I'm on using Juno's free service right now, I signed up just before all this started happening Big Grin
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:01 pm
Post  Title: Metconnect problems

I am able to connect to the internet using Metconnect, but I cannot seen to browse. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next