home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 17:48 pm
Post  Title: TPG

bushbaby

i can't get ADSL
in fact i don't even have a landline any more (telstra's alleged 20.00 pcm service .. SUUURE. always ended up about 80.00 and i hardly called anyone)

for phone i use optus mobile (which has data so i can use my phone for a modem but it eats my voice allocation which is quite generous).
cost: 30.00 per recharge which is plenty for me.

for internet i'm using (right now) a USB modem from 'boost' (optus' "hey kids we're trendy indie types" sub company.. cheaper than optus main but uses the same network and sites).
i was paying 30.00 for 1.2GB (extra 400MB for credit card and as someone else said, use a debit card.. i use commonwealth and they'll just give you one, no problems, westpac were the same but i left them because they have an insane on screen login keyboard so anyone can see your password as you enter it (yeah told em and told em and got ignored, final straw was when i asked them what caused account fees to be okay again when they had been banned.. they didn't like that)
however back to the topic .. i found 40.00 a better deal for 3GB with 600MB added on for CC.

that means that i don't get any bills scaring the bejabbers out of me (poor). if i use up the allocation it's tough luck until i get more money. but i'm rarely caught out even though i use the internet a hell of a lot.

i also am able to connect using a UBUNTU flavour of Linux as well as windows though not much luck with mac.

a word of warning. .. i was over reading the bad news about dodo (remember getting an apology letter for false advertising from them around 2000 as they got in trouble)

also avoid virgin like the plague.
it's not owned by richard branson and hasn't been for years. the buyer was unbelievable in their paucity of service. they played funny bunnies with the bill balances and wouldn't give me a straight answer on what i owed when i was paying off my phone (still doing so as slowly as possible whilst servicing the debt).

they also told me it was my fault when i coulnd't hide my number. then it was my phone's fault, then sony said no, it's their network, your phone is fine. then they hassled me non stop with friendly puppies being all cheerful when i had a pile of other problems (damaged knee, broken car, house broken into etc) and told them to stop ringing me. they wouldn't stop ringing me.

the ombudsman was as useless as fishing tackle in the simpson desert and handballed me back to them instead of taking them to task.

the thing is that they're overloaded (TIO) and there's nothing much you can do about it. we'll keep getting horror stories until the government cracks the whip.

in the meantime i've been reasonably happy with the USB device even though i'm in a valley.
even when i travel to a really remote area where my phone karks it the internet still works okay.

plus i like the fact i can sit outside with a frosty lager in the summer and tippy tap away like a mad thing without having to worry about tripping over copper lines.

speeds: well it varies. bad weather isn't as good as good weather obviously because the signal is travelling through the air but it beats the plop out of dialup and really when you think about it isn't your time more important than a few bucks shaved off the price?

i came to that conclusion when i used to fix and service computers and calculated roughly how much time i was spending sitting around waiting for stuff to load, boot, process etc. i've got better things to do.

tl;dr. use USB and be happy bunnyperson. is cheap. allphones usually have them or the optus shop.
i don't like telstra. i find them expensive and rude and they don't have the same coverage where i am.

there endeth the blurtage
and there was much rejoicing

yay etc. LOL Shiny Roll Eyes
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:43 am
Post  Title: Re: TPG rules!

arc
awulf wrote:
I've been using TPG for probably over year, After six months you have to sign up again. For me the times are 12:30-7:30 since I live in South Australia, and I got my sessions to be 4Hours, although it is stated that it is 3hours. Their service is fast and reliable, and i do my downloadin on it. These days to sign up you need the name of a memeber that you have refered. TPG now also has a cool dial-up plan $16.99 per month unlimited Hours and Downloads. That is cheaper than anyone else. Also I use a mac and it has no problems with TPG, but it shouldn't have any problems since PPP (a standard) is being used.

I have been with tpg since 2002 i think..also i didnt even know tpg offered free access???..omg.I am on the 16.99$ month deal. Which i think is better value than adsl.Unlimited downloads and access.(mind u i get dc after 4 hours so it costs me another local call)Sometimes too i have to try and dial up several times.so it works out to $50 for 3 months,and i dial up at least once a day(and stay on for the 4 hours) so 30 local calls. I do wish i had adsl.
It can be slow DL for me.
Quote:
aqualicia wrote- there is such a thing as a debit (credit) card where you use your own money. a few banks offer it and it is the same as having a credit card (ie st george, first national)

Yea my mum pays for the net(hehehe)she uses her debit card. Damn bloody isps wanting credit cards..credit cards are a bloody ripoff.
Suncorp bank offers debit cards(must provide evidence for credit etc)

when i buy a laptop next year,i am going to get it hooked up to cable ethernet,so i might change providers then.
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:39 am
Post  Title: Re: Wow how p00p is that

Yeah Yeah... wrote:
man i would try to find another internet connection if i were you. Try to get cable, i got it and it is the madest. o fast and reliable. You turn on your computer and your on the internet hahahahaha i got cable and you don't. Nar just go spend some good money on paid internet and stop winging about all your problems people...

hahahaha cable, go and get it Smile

i get sick of hearing this

Have you ever thought that atleast half of us are in areas where you cant get adsl or cable?

Been stuck on 56k for years now
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:36 am
Post  Title:

lulow

ive used it for numerous nights of downloading and its been great mostly (apart from a few disconnections)
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:11 am
Post  Title: 2 years with TPG internet

Jay
Cool been with TPG for awhile now, I found their once a year payment plan very useful, I just wish they had Telephone/Internet banking. Confused
Paying by mail order is just a pain Mad then they can't find your cheque Mad You wait a week and then Shiny
I was just wondering where other TPG customer thoughts ... Start a Bpay movement ... LOL ... Beepay Beepay Beepay LOL
Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:05 am
Post  Title: Re: refferal

alexandiaw
chris wrote:
hi guys i was just wondering if anyone had a name that i could use in the referral box ive tried to make it up but even the most obvious ones dont work ie:john smith

Please somebody help this lowly net weasel out
Roll Eyes

hello chris try this"chris&sweet" if its work good luck to you.have a nice day. LOL
Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:40 pm
Post  Title:

andrewjohn

Tpg have updated their website, the link to signup nite rider doesnt work anymore and they have no intention of offering it again i doubt

im gonna miss it ive been using it for about 2 years now, i download approx 2gig month im sure thats why they got rid of it Shiny

anyway enjoy it while it lasts all you people that still have active ones
Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 23:31 pm
Post  Title: http://www.tpg.com.au/

kingmatt

Have been with dialup tpg for a year. Happy enough. But when they go "off" then forget it till the next day. They go "off" about once a month. Not that they would admit it, but it happens.
Now looking at adsl plans and unfortunately believe that tpg arent offering as good a deal as ozemail. Will give them a few more weeks to match them, then off to ozemail.
Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:06 am
Post  Title: all interesting

fred343434
I used to be with tpg but it was terrible kept having to reconnect numerous times to the service which cost additional monies and then moved to a new service that is excellent suggest everyone look around as there are some very excellent services with excellent packages that leave TPG a long way behind these days - cheers to all
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:01 pm
Post  Title:

plodr
Administrator
Since I have quite a few friends in areas of Australia, I thought I'd look at this. These are the current offerings for dialup:  http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/dialup.html 

unlimited for $9.99A/month at 4 hour sessions seems like a good deal.
Since the service has been around for a few years, I don't think paying 3 months at a time would be a huge risk.
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 20:17 pm
Post  Title: Niterider no longer exists!

mmecholet
tpg were unable to continue niterider service - even after their final phase involving having proof that you'd recommended someone to tpg!
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:14 am
Post  Title: Try installing v90 drivers for your modem

m
Have you been using v92 drivers for your modem? I did, and I found out that they are not compatible with the nightrider pack. I kept on getting disconnected after 10 seconds. I put the v90 drivers for my modem back on my computer, then everything was fine again.
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:01 am
Post  Title: I don't think so.

m
I don't think so. At least you could setup your downloads into a download manager, and start downloading while your sleeping. I find this VERY useful. What if you have something important to do, for example registering your free software from computer magazines with CD's (i.e. they require you to apply for the serial number online). Don't say it's stupid, it could very well come in handy one day.
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 23:43 pm
Post  Title: referral

funnybunny_40@hotmail.com
please help. i need a referral for the niterider package.
anyone ? this would be much appreciated
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 19:02 pm
Post  Title: TPG Customers

OD_.:RaZoR:.
Could I plz have a name of a TPG customer so i can use it as a refferal for nightrider.
Is there any other free ISP's other then nightrider?

Email:
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:05 am
Post  Title: is niterider REALLY free

m1ke
hey all, ive used niterider for a while but only recenlty disocovered that after 6 months u gottah re-register. my time is up and i tried to register only to see that a referal is required now. damn this aint free. i just wanted to ask anyone is there a way around this as i know no one who uses tpg? ive seen people ask for referalls and as desperate as i am i also ask if anyone can help me out here? my emial is . i would greatly appreicate your help. what ever happened to the days of freeonline and goconnect!!!

kind regards, mike
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 20:29 pm
Post  Title: need referall?

OD-.:RaZoR:.
Does anyone have a referall? (for nightrider)
email it to:

ty
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:00 am
Post  Title: Wow how p00p is that

Yeah Yeah...
man i would try to find another internet connection if i were you. Try to get cable, i got it and it is the madest. o fast and reliable. You turn on your computer and your on the internet hahahahaha i got cable and you don't. Nar just go spend some good money on paid internet and stop winging about all your problems people...

hahahaha cable, go and get it :)
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:58 am
Post  Title: TPG refferal

psalm69er
Anyone who has a refferral number for the tpg niterider service could they please email it to me at . Thank you
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:36 am
Post  Title: I know that!

Smurfy
I know that!
i'm not stupid! i know that it's called niterider and it's for nitetime! but i still think it's sill, and wot about that 'one-handed-ly' thing? that wasn't funny!
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next