home

Forum HomeMain  SearchSearch  please registerplease register  Log inLog in  FAQFAQ  RULESRULES  
    Forum Index -> ISP reviews

write a review about this isp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 14:46 pm
Post  Title:

oink

I am still with copper. Made the mistake of paying one year up front. Have been their customer for two years in east central Iowa. They started with three or four access numbers and very little problem with busies, disconnects, slow, etc., for the first year. Now they are down to one access number and of course the quality of their service went south. Sure am thank full that there are more options. Sure would hate to be stuck with them any longer than need be.
Back to top    Write a review about this ISP
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 22:11 pm
Post  Title:

aci-john

Copper hasnt been unlimited in YEARS. If you read their terms, and 98% of Mainstream ISPs, there is a daily limit, and they do express their time limit. Doesnt say anywhere its unlimited. And then this particular case would have fallen under the ATTENDED access clause as well.

*Yawn*

Coming Soon - MOBILE BROADBAND
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 13:47 pm
Post  Title:

bones

copper.net is a total fraud. I signed up for unlimited access. I averaged 2.5 hours a day for the first 18 days then on dec 1 ...i left my computer on and went to work. I was logged on for over 10 hours. I got an email from the useage department informing me i had dared use 52 hours on my "unlimited" plan. Seems they do have limits. if you go over 10 hours its "excessive" useage. I cancelled them and went with adns.us. No limits. Fast. Tech support called me. You read that right,,,they called me. copper.net *** and needs to realize people use their "unlimited" as an unlimted.
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 15:38 pm
Post  Title: Coppernet improvements

CopperFanMan

Coppernet has added more capacity and staff to improve their services. They are one of the few ISP's that manage their own call center without outsourcing support and U.S. jobs overseas. Not only that, they are now luanching DSL service.

Try them they are great and support the U.S.A!

LOL
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:37 am
Post  Title: http://www.copper.net/

JeffPrichard4568
Here is probably a little known problem with Copper.net which is annoying. When you first sign up, you have their 3rd party spam blocker service. You can log into you web access Copper.net email and 'unsubscribe' to the spam blocking service.....BUT, by doing so, you only unsubcribe to the incoming mail spam blocking service, NOT THE OUTGOING ! Say, for instance, you want to copy an article from the BBC News which has no advertisements and then paste it into an email written, say in Outlook Express or Thunderbird, the Copper.net server will block the email from being sent ! The only way around this is to paste the article into the email using "paste without formatting" which eliminates all embedded pictures and text formating. Peoplestar does not do this...it allows html formatting. This fact is not presented at sign up but is only learned by experience. This is wrong and the owner of Copper.net needs to address this problem.

This is the message you get back ! "Sorry, the message you sent to:
could not be sent because the content was determined to
be inconsistent with rules regarding acceptable email.

If you have any questions, please contact: " NOW how the heck are you supposed to know which email was not sent if you sent a bunch of emails at approximately the same time ? HUH? Not good ! Not cool !
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:16 am

JeffPrichard4568
Someone wrote in about Copper.net with this comment: " I was told I'd gone over the 200 hour limit in each of the last three months. My alternate contanct email was correct in their system, they have my snailmail and phone number on file, but they never told me I'd gone over, nor did I see any kind of tracking counter on either their signup webpage or their users' login page." The same thing is true of Peoplestar but even lower [150 hrs. per month]. Peoplestar told me that it was their access provider [UU.net owned by MCI] that restricts usage to 150 hrs. per month on Peoplestar's 'unlimited access plan'. Peoplestar only has ONE access provider, Copper.net has four ! If you use all the access numbers in your area alternately, it might lower your risk of getting kicked off for usage over 200 hrs. I have read that it is an industry wide 'lie' ....the use of unlimited access. Dedicated service is the TRUE unlimited use access per industry lingo.
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 13:40 pm
Post  Title: Copper.net

BLJ
So far this ISP is all that they promised to be, nothing more. I don't have all the bells and wistles of AOL, but I don't miss it. Good cheap service. Sometimes though, I do have problems with finding my e-mails. It gets a little tricky sometimes finding where it is, much to figure out. Very different than AOL. Quicker to connect to the internet than AOL since it uses the internet explorer already installed on the computer.
Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 19:15 pm
Post  Title: Copper rockin and rollin

wrswh

FYI...I've used multiple low cost isp's as well as the high priced providers such as aol and msn and have just recently signed up with copper after extensive research at this site and others. I elected to stick with conventional dial up as opposed to high speed due to unreliability with other low cost high speed software. So far the connections with copper have been excellent with no busy signals or dropped connections. I consistantly connect in the mid 40's with a 56k v90 modem and throughput and pages loads are the best I've had with any isp. Just to name a few, I've used peoplestar, malika, access4less, highstream, at&t worldnet, walmart connect, juno speedband, and netscape. I've cancelled all with the exception of peoplestar and highstream due to unreliability. Juno was excellent but their proprietary software crashed too often and too many adds connecting/disconnecting.
So far (knock on wood) copper seems to be the way to go.
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:03 am

Carla
Their e-mail service *** big time! They bombard you with unwanted e-mails even if you choose to turn on spam blocker! Connecting and staying on the internet has been good though. And their customer service is cool.
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 20:22 pm
Post  Title: reliable until recently

Influence52
I've been using Copper for well over a year. Overall it has been a good isp. The highspeed works well at about three times the regular servicesl speed. In the past support has responded well.
Over the past few I have had problems receiving emails. I've written three letters to Copper and had zero responses. If the problem is not corrected quickly I will be changing to a new isp. It is sad because I've been pleased up until this point.
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:46 am
Post  Title: Copper.net

kamblue
No complaints about Copper.net here. I've had them since May 2003, and they've always had prompt dialup (I've never had to dial more than twice, and even that is extremely rare) and consistent speeds on two computers I've used with it. Luckily I've never had to use Tech Support, and I've never had any billing problems, even when I had to change my name and credit-card info after getting married. I have my Copper.net mail forwarded to another account, so as far as I know, it's reliable. For me, even if it's 200 hours a month and not "unlimited," I'm lucky to be online with it an hour a day. My only beef is that I can't get DH to give up his AOL!!
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 20:27 pm

liza591
No Unlimited. 200 hrs

They told me that although they advertized unlimited they lie. When I spoke to them they gave me this really comlicated formula, but the bottom line is that its not unlimited its only 200 hrs. Unless others ISPs offer the same thing
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 19:43 pm

Liz
The unlimeted is not unlimited. It is 200 hours a month. I was told other isp's referred to unlimited the same way and therefore they are not responsible for there lying.

Ohter than the lying they worked okay
Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:42 am
Post  Title: Copper.Net Review

None
Billed me for a second (never used) account for a year and refused to give me a rebate.

Called their customer support when I couldn't log in a few months later and was told there was a billing problem. I checked, my payment had gone through, so I called again. I was told I'd gone over the 200 hour limit in each of the last three months. My alternate contanct email was correct in their system, they have my snailmail and phone number on file, but they never told me I'd gone over, nor did I see any kind of tracking counter on either their signup webpage or their users' login page.

I was then told that I needed to look at a web site in order to track my usage and when I asked for the url, I was told I needed to email to the employee in charge of usage (Lee Ann, the person I was speaking to) in order to find out how much time I'd used that month. She also informed me (both before and after confirming this with her supervisor) that three months' going over was the maximum (hadn't I read the TOS when I signed up? -- I had and don't recall this provision) my account was canceled. I could not even sign up for a new account under a new username.

Patient explaining that I had no idea I'd gone over three months in a row, that I'd had no way to verify my monthly usage, and that I had no notion that going over for three months meant I was a persona non grata earned me a final month of service -- I'm using it to find a new ISP.

(Another note: they once had to reset my username due to a technical problem on their end (again without notifying me), this resulted in the loss of all the email on that old account.)

Otherwise I was generally happy with this ISP. The connection speeds were good, and their connections were stable. My only complaint is their customer service/customer relations.
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:57 am

connie
I just cancelled copper after only one month at $1 (they offer 3 months for $1). I was constantly being disconnected, and there were many times that I just couldn't get a connection. I switched to a local ISP called Certaintytech (western Pennsylvania) for $16.95. The new company's support is wonderful and I like the fact that I'm supporting a local company.
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 15:04 pm
Post  Title: Consistently Unconsistent

Billy
My mother switched from an ISP company of the same monthly price that just dumped her without warning (leaving her with no internet service) and raised there dialup rates to $13. My brother took her credit card, went home and signed her up with copper.net for some strange reason, of all the services he could have signed her up for.

Anyways, right off the bat I didn't like Copper.net, the first connection, and every connection afterwards was slow, ussually 37.333. I emailed tech support (this was 6 months ago) here is the context, notice how they completly ignored the fact that the problem was on there end, and tryed to get me to reinstall Windows EVEN Though that was not the problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: <*****@stewiesminions.com>

Subject: RE: Problems with service in Muskegon Michigan.

Date: Tue 09/02/03 12:07 PM

Attachments
Name Type Save View
Message text/plain Save

The problem you are experiencing is a failure of TCP/IP in Windows.
While it works sometimes now, it will eventually quit working
altogether. Depending on the version of Windows you are running, you
may be able to reinstall it. You can reinstall TCP/IP in Windows
95/98/ME, but not in Windows 2000/XP. In those, you have to reinstall
Windows.

Thank you.

Chad Garner
Tech Support, Tier 2
Copper.net
1-888-336-3318

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 3:52 PM
To:
Subject: Problems with service in Muskegon Michigan.

I am using cooper.net in Muskegon Michigan and so far am not very
impressed with your service. I was using an IP before copper and had no
problem connecting at 49.333, or occasionally 50.666. Unfortunetly that
IP raised there prices so I switched to copper because you have a
Muskegon Access #. I routinely connect at 36.000 and have never exceeded
38.666 once, but the most annoying problem is that I routinely connect
to the internet and can't get anywhere. Nothing happens on the bytes
recieved/bytes sent and I get a message that websites don't exist.
However if I disconnect and reconnect once or twice it will work just
fine.

The problem isn't on my end, it is on yours. If the problems aren't
fixed soon I will be switching back to the more reliable ISP for $3 more
a month, or maybe switch to Juno/Netzero for the same price, so far
copper.net isn't reliable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, they did reply within 24 hours, as soon as I read it I knew it was bs on there part. I never replied figuring to get the same type of response.

Was the problem on my end like the copper.net represenitive said, no it was not. I wanted to get my mother to switch ISP's but she isn't very tech savy, and just wants to get her email and on the rare occasion, surf the web. She didn't want the hassle of changing providers fearing it would make using the computer more difficult. I don't get over to her home enough that I wasn't keeping a close tab on her internet company, perhaps I should've been so I could have pressured her to switch to a faster and more reliable company.

The Solution, the last time I checked Copper.net for local access #'s was in December and they still listed only a single (slow) number, 231-457-0005. When I checked back today, I saw that they have two new numbers listed, right now I'm using 727-1913 (Same Number NetZero used to use) and am connected at 49.333. They know longer list the 457 # which makes me think they got enough complaints on it, although it does still work as an access #. And is still just as slow as it was when I sent the email.

Would it have killed tech support to make a 1 minute long distance dial up call to that number to verify it wasn't me? Would it have killed tech support to say "Our dial up number in that market is not very fast." No.

Will the new access number be more consistent, only time will tell. I hope so, I know when I used NetZero on that number it was good. Bottom line, I'd avoid copper.net and find something else. Especially if your getting it for someone who's like my mom and won't switch once they get it because they don't like change (especially as far as technology) and will put up with 8 months of slow service instead of switching to a better ISP.
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:48 pm
Post  Title: Re: Avoid at all costs!

ExCopperite
SimonMoon wrote:
Their email support is absolutely terrible. They typically ignore emails--just flat out ignore them (they even tell you they will ignore them if in their opinion your email doesn't fit certain specifications.) If you want any sort of support from this company you have to call them on the telephone, and good luck getting through!

Lol! That is sooo true! When you email them you get an automatic reply that gives a whole long list of reasons why they aren't going to respond. I discovered that if you want a response you have to flatter them, i.e. you have to kiss their buts a little.

Worse, after I canceled they continued to bill my credit card! When I emailed them about it and after I finally got a response they admitted I had canceled but didn't believe me when I told them I was still being billed. Then when I called the telephone number they knew I was still being billed but didn't believe that I had canceled! I ended up having to go through the whole rigamorole of contesting the charges through Visa. I'm just glad I'm done with them.
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 20:47 pm
Post  Title: Avoid at all costs!

SimonMoon
Their email support is absolutely terrible. They typically ignore emails--just flat out ignore them (they even tell you they will ignore them if in their opinion your email doesn't fit certain specifications.) If you want any sort of support from this company you have to call them on the telephone, and good luck getting through!

Within 5 days of signing up with them my account just stopped working. After numerous tries I finally got a response--and they told me I had gone over the 200 hour limit! When I explained to them that was a mathmatical impossibility (even had I been online 24/7 for 5 days that would not make 200 hours) they just went back to ignoring my emails.

I noticed there are a lot of positive reviews for them... the only thing I can think is that they are using shills to post positive reviews. I'd be willing to bet that most (if not all) the positive reviews listed on this site are from Copper.net employees.

Avoid this company at all costs.
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 17:13 pm
Post  Title:

deke
It's a very reliable isp with v.92 capability. My connections are almost as solid as with frys.com and that's saying a lot. Although my modem on hold feature in my free best data modem never works, for those who can use m-o-h I would recommend this isp.

However, I see no reason to subscribe to the copper hi-speed service, it's $5 extra and I've noticed no major gain in speed. Stick with regular copper.

You can easily get them on the phone toll-free when needed.
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 15:44 pm
Post  Title: Ad-aware

scootman
I use true unlimited internet connection through a cable service provider, and although quite expensive it is truly unlimited. I never have to connect, and can run my active weather update program real time all the time in the background.

I also downloaded ad-aware and though it took some time to learn what to do and not to do found it to do exactly as advertised. Adware has greatly improved my online experience. I have ran zone alarm fire wall for some time, but still suffered from many popups and unders. After working with ad-aware I have suffered no popups or unders.

I found through ad-aware's information that popups are a result of not only cookies but registry information left on a pc from previous downloads, and programs. Zone alarm did alert me to many connection attempts from programs trying to access the internet, but used along with ad-aware I found the problem and have managed to stop all popups.

Please only download the things you can confirm as totally trusted, use some type of firewall software, and if all else fails try ad-aware by lavasoft or some other software to track spyware programs. I purchased the online download and online upgrade option, and hope to enjoy many aggrevation free hours of surfing.

As far as copper.net I have never tried them, but have been considering changing to a lower cost ISP for cost and actual usage. I could complain about my current ISP, but have since found that it was my own lack of pc maintenance and education at the root of my problem.

I have been with all the major ISPs over the years with connection problems, and have heard all the excuses and lame tech support solutions not limited to &quot;You have to reload ^@!, it is an internal wiring issue at you location, or you are located to far from a local telephone connection hub. I have spent countless hours explaining that. I have reloaded ^@! three times, I can see the telephone junction for this municipality from my back door, and I have ran cat 5 cable from the telephone junction box directly to my pc.

Shop around that is a consumers right, and resposibility.

Scootman
Write a review about this ISP   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next